Metro Mini Boards Not Taking Programing

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
voodoofx

Metro Mini Boards Not Taking Programing

Post by voodoofx »

Hello, I recently purchased a large quantity of Metro Mini V-2 boards. I was filling some orders for clients & noticed something odd when I prepared the program for download to the board. I plugged in the cord and the board indicator light came on (Green Only). I am use to seeing the flashing red light letting me know its ready to accept the programing, so I tried the rest button, nothing changed. So not thinking to much about it, I grabbed another board randomly out of my inventory and had the same outcome, a board that would not accept programing and the solid (Green Light Only). Well this is odd I have programed hundreds of these boards and never ran into this problem. So to confirm that my programer & IDE software was operating properly I programed one with a test board I use for development & it worked perfect. Now just to give it one last try I picked another new packaged board out of inventory plugged it in and got the Green Light & The Blinking Red light & it accepted the programing with no problem. So my conclusion is that I have a mixed batch of bad boards & since I have 100 of them I have no clue of what is good or bad. I have already pulled out 10 boards so far that dont work, I feel that there will be more. HERE IS THE INVOICE #3257319. Thanks, Randy.

mikeysklar

Re: Metro Mini Boards Not Taking Programing

Post by mikeysklar »

What was the order date?

Can you take a look at the pink bags for the 100 board order? Was there a different batch number printed on it between the board that worked versus the two boards that did not?

I am wondering if some of these boards might have shipped without a bootloader or have an assembly issue.

voodoofx

Post by voodoofx »

Date Ordered is March 17,2024. The bags seem to be all the same. On the average I getting 4 bad to 1 good as I am pulling them for orders. I think you are right about the boot loader was never installed.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

It probably is the bootloader.

Let's try to verify a few differences between the not working boards and the ones that are programming.

What OS are you programming these boards from using the Arduino IDE?

How do the boards look in the Device Manager or equivalent? Both the working and non?

Is there anything else connected to the boards when you are programming them? They are sensitive to anything connected to pins 0 or 1.

voodoofx

Post by voodoofx »

I am using the latest version of Windows 11 & newest version of Arduino IDE. The device manager is the same on good boards or bad boards. No other devices are connected when programing, direct to USB. I am making the connection, just can't program them.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Can you enable "show verbose output during upload" under the Arduino IDE --> Settings menu?

I'd like to see the error / timeout message.

voodoofx

Post by voodoofx »

Here is the error code:Sketch uses 4516 bytes (14%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 333 bytes (16%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1715 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xa0
Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

This error could be caused by the USB port jumping around when swapping boards for programming.

Does it make any difference if you tried re-selecting the Tools --> Port: COMX after the board is plugged in. When switching between multiple boards this can jump around.

Which board are selecting for programming?

voodoofx

Post by voodoofx »

This is very simple, out of all the boards that I have programed using the Metro Mini, if the board is ready for program the board gives you a solid green & a flashing red, awaiting program upload. The failing boards only have the green light on solid. When you try to up load the program the error occurs and will not allow any programing.

All my stuff is working on my side, I have already tested the programer with a Metro Mini V-2 with programing success, so I know all my hardware & software is jiving.

I am selecting Adafruit/Metro for boards with all the current libraries installed.

I just feel that I have a bad batch of boards without the bootloader installed on them.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Agreed.

How would you like coordinate the replacements? Would you prefer to try and program each unit or replace the lot?

You can contact [email protected] to start the process. They will need your order# and link to this forum thread.

voodoofx

Post by voodoofx »

I think it would be best to replace the lot. Thanks Randy.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”