BeagleBoneBlack and WiFi with mt7601u Ralink Adapter

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kylesands

BeagleBoneBlack and WiFi with mt7601u Ralink Adapter

Post by kylesands »

Hi, I'm having trouble getting the wlan0 to be recognized at all automatically after reboot. It works great if I unplug the USB WiFi adapter and plug it back in, so I think I must be close? But I don't want to rely on manual intervention after a loss of power or reboot and was hoping to get it working with a script, but can't seem to find the right series of commands besides unplugging and plugging back in.

I think I'm starting to go in circles now, so I thought I would reach out. It seems like it might be a common problem but I don't seem to be finding the right solution.

I have a BBB rev C, I believe, with the Manhattan 7-port powered hub with the MT7601u Ralink WiFi adapter.

I believe I'm on the latest Debian kernel that the update_kernal.sh will get me. 4.19.94-ti-r74
I believe I have the wifi-reset service installed, though I don't think that's working after reboot as the wlan0 is missing. (it returns and works fine if I unplug and plug in the WiFi adapter)

lsusb command doesn't show the WiFi adaptor as being plugged in after reboot, but it does show after unplugging and plugging the adaptor back in to the hub and then it works fine.

The usb hub is plugged in to power.

I don't think I see this WiFi adapter listed in the wiki of known WiFi adapters that work, so that's a little concerning, but was hoping that since it works manually, I was hoping it might be ok, but that could be a mistake.

If I'm leaving out any info that would be helpful, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide more info.

I was hoping to get it working with the hardware I had on hand, but at this point, I might be open to a new WiFi adapter if it would greatly simplify this problem.

Thanks for any info you may have...

Cheers!
Kyle...

kylesands

Re: BeagleBoneBlack and WiFi with mt7601u Ralink Adapter

Post by kylesands »

Hey gang..... For what it's worth, I switched to a different Wifi adapter....

NetGear, Inc. WNDA3100v1 802.11abgn [Atheros AR9170+AR9104]

This one did get recognized on boot but didn't quite auto connect. Possibly from all of the things I tried to get the Ralink adapter to work. Not entirely sure. I ended up adding the following to my /etc/rc.local

Code: Select all

rm /run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0
ifup wlan0
and now I have a network connection on boot...

Something seems to interfere with wpa_supplicant, so I needed to remove the /run/wpa_supplicant/wlan0 file on startup first, but it appears to work, so it's all good... I'm calling that a win for now...

Cheers!

kylesands

Post by kylesands »

May have spoken too soon.... hmmm... It works, but way too often I get this in /var/logs/messages

Code: Select all

Apr 18 14:02:35 beaglebone kernel: [ 6013.202092] ieee80211 phy1: invalid plcp cck rate (0).
Apr 18 14:02:40 beaglebone kernel: [ 6018.811934] usb 1-1.6: no command feedback received (-110).
Apr 18 14:02:40 beaglebone kernel: [ 6018.817753] usb 1-1.6: restart device (6)
Apr 18 14:02:40 beaglebone kernel: [ 6018.828142] ieee80211 phy1: writing reg 0x1d0104 (val 0x2) failed (-110)
Apr 18 14:02:41 beaglebone kernel: [ 6019.995763] usb 1-1.6: device restarted successfully.
Apr 18 14:02:41 beaglebone kernel: [ 6020.004194] ieee80211 phy1: Hardware restart was requested
I'm uncertain if that's the culprit, but it seems to imply this adapter is restarting intermittently and I need to ifdown and ifup wlan0 for it to work again. That's not ideal....

My hunch is it has something to do with Atheros and and my poor choice of WiFi hardware...LOL!

Unfortunately, I think those are the only 2 usb wifi adapters I have laying around. I'm going to keep troubleshooting, but I'm thinking i need to go buy a good adapter for BeagleBone Black...

Any suggestions? Preferably for the 4.19.94-ti-r74 kernel.

Thanks!

kylesands

Post by kylesands »

Well, I found a fix for my issue, but I'm baffled by it.... I posted over on Beagleboard, and RobertCNelson mentioned "This smells like a power issue". That seemed fair since I had seen a lot of other posts mentioning the need to have both the BBB and the USB hub each with their own power plugs, though in this case, that was how I was running. Each with their own power. So I wasn't sure what I'd find but I needed to try different power related scenarios to rule those out and then see what else I should try.... Or so I thought...

The first thing I tried was unplug the power to the USB hub, knowing that having power to the hub was probably what Robert was referring to, but I wanted to rule that out just to be sure, and voila, the Ralink Wifi adaptor came right up on wlan0 on boot with the USB hub NOT powered. Rebooted again to confirm with same results...

This seems absolutely backwards to what I was expecting, but I'll take it....

Cheers!
Kyle....

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”