Is Wippersnapper necessary?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
DolphinCoder

Is Wippersnapper necessary?

Post by DolphinCoder »

I have had my Adafruit Matrix Portal Starter Kit set up for ages, and it randomly stopped working. I realized that the device fell off my device list on adafruit.io.

I have two questions:
1. Which device do I choose for this? I don't see it on the list: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4812
2. Is Wippersnapper the reason why my device fell off the list? Is CircuitPython not supported at all anymore?
I see the tutorial for the device here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mat ... 4/overview
It still shows CircuitPython and says nothing about Wippersnapper.

How can I get my board up and running again?

mikeysklar

Re: Is Wippersnapper necessary?

Post by mikeysklar »

What had you originally been running on the MatrixPortal before the fall?

CircuitPython is supported with AIO. Wippersnapper is optional and geared towards super easy sensor to web logging.

The MatrixPortal is a SAMD51 +ESP32 which is a supported combination for WipperSnapper as well.
ESP8266
ESP32
ESP32-S2
ESP32-S3
ESP32-C3
Raspberry Pi RP2040
SAMD51 + Adafruit "AirLift" ESP32 Co-Processor

DolphinCoder

Post by DolphinCoder »

I had been running CircuitPython on it, with no issues. Now, it won't connect to Adafruit even though I'm using the correct API key. I don't recall if I added it to my device list on io.adafruit.com, but there are no devices there, and when I go to add one the matrixportal is not showing up as an option for me to add.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

It sounds like you are mixing up some of the WipperSnapper docs with CircuitPython usage. CircuitPython does not have you select a board.

Start with the adafruit_io_simpletest.py and make sure you AIO key is in the secrets.py and matches your account.

DolphinCoder

Post by DolphinCoder »

Thanks. I still just have the CircuitPython code on the board which had been working for months, and which just suddenly stopped working.

I have actually always had issues connecting to my wifi. The network is fine and solid (and 2.4GHz), but whether it connects is purely random. Do you think this could be an issue with the board?

DolphinCoder

Post by DolphinCoder »

Also, I realized what the problem was. My network.fetch_data() request is returning a "Sending request failed" error. However, I have not changed anything since it worked, and I verified that the API is still the same. Any idea what that might be, or how I might get a more specific error?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Start over with a fresh CircuitPython / Bootloader install.

Try the simpletest code.

We can debug it from there off the REPL console messages.There are too many unknowns to speculate on.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”