How to connect AirLift Wifi board to Feather RP2040 board

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
a1334ut

How to connect AirLift Wifi board to Feather RP2040 board

Post by a1334ut »

I have tried stacking the 2 boards with pin headers between them but the AirLift does not start. The only text about this is https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... assembly-2 (linked page 3) and it only says to solder it but not what to do, and it even shows an ethernet board instead of a wifi board which is really confusing. I assumed that I need to stack them but that does not work. I have Feather RP2040.

When stacking them there is no light from the AirLift and running the test code just results in TimeoutError.

dastels

Re: How to connect AirLift Wifi board to Feather RP2040 board

Post by dastels »

Please post a clear closeup of your soldering.

Dave

a1334ut

Post by a1334ut »

I have not soldered yet because it did not work without it. I don't want to solder it incorrectly or in vain in case the board is damaged (the AirLift is brand new however) so I wanted to try it first. I tried stacking them (without soldering) and it did not work and I also tried to connect them with cables on a breadboard but that did not work either
20240515_above.jpg
20240515_above.jpg (215.4 KiB) Viewed 134 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

You have to solder. The best is to solder female header onto the top of the Featherm and male headers under the wing. Then they will snap together. No solder means no (reliable) connection.

As for the instruction showing the ethernet Featherwing... as far as installing headers is concerned, a feather is a feather and a wing is a wing.

Dave

a1334ut

Post by a1334ut »

There is already a pin header soldered onto the Feather RP2040, do I stack the AirLift onto that and solder it onto that same header? Will that solve my issue and make it work? I thought the problem would be something else but i will solder it once i figure out what to do about the Feather RP2040 already having pin headers soldered onto it. this is possibly obvious but since the guide goes from soldering headers onto the board right onto the codes so it is unclear to me.

regarding the ethernet board soldering process being same, I thought I had the wrong board until I noticed that it said "ethernet featherwing" on the board in the image, so it would be good if it said "these images show the ethernet featherwing but the process is the same".

Thank you

dastels

Post by dastels »

So you have male headers soldered onto the Feather already?

I strongly suggest using headers on both boards so they can be separated later if required.
You can put female headers on the wing and mount it under the feather. Or get a doubler (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2890) with female headers in both positions and use male headers on the wing and place the feather & wing side by side.

Dave

a1334ut

Post by a1334ut »

Yes there are male pin headers soldered onto the Feather RP2040. I suppose this is why I tried to just stack them directly (it felt stable). I will buy female pin headers tomorrow and solder them on the AirLift Wifi I hope it will work but I am not sure to be honest.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Remember that you want them on the "top" of the AirLift wing so it will plug onto the header pins on the Feather.

Dave

a1334ut

Post by a1334ut »

It does not work. TimeoutError and no light on the AirLift

dastels

Post by dastels »

Please post clear closeups of your soldering.

Dave

T_Mo

Post by T_Mo »

I have two copies of this exact configuration (Feather RP2040 stacked with an AirLift Feather). They both work fine for the last couple of years. Socket connector on the RP2040, headers on the AirLift. When stacked the RP2040 is on the bottom, the AirLift is on the top.

Note that initially I did have to exchange one of my AirLift Feathers because it did not work when it arrived.

The mass of jumper wires is not a good idea, from a reliability standpoint. I understand you're just trying anything to make it work.

a1334ut

Post by a1334ut »

IMG-20240517.jpg
IMG-20240517.jpg (298.51 KiB) Viewed 44 times
Unfortunately, it does not work. Unless the fix is easy, we have run out of time for the project and have to cancel the Wi-Fi part of it.

dastels

Post by dastels »

I'd redo the soldering as many of the joints look very questionable. E.g. the one above ESPRX looks like it isn't even making a connection. Basically, the ones that look ball-like are probably not making a good (or any) connection between the pins and the pads. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gui ... -soldering and https://learn.adafruit.com/collins-lab-soldering for tips.

Dave

T_Mo

Post by T_Mo »

I don't see any solder joints in that image that give me a good feeling.

Tips:
Use some solder wick to remove all the existing solder.
Then re-solder the pins with a clean fine-point tip.
Since these are through-hole pins, use a soldering iron that is at least 50 watts.
Using a magnifier headset is also helpful.

a1334ut

Post by a1334ut »

My friend soldered that and he says that he has tested continuity with a multimeter so he says it cannot be the problem. Either way there is no time left so we are not going to use the AirLift Wifi. Thanks to both of you for your help.
Last edited by a1334ut on Fri May 24, 2024 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”