RP2040 USB host perma-bricked by long file name?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
heliophagus

RP2040 USB host perma-bricked by long file name?

Post by heliophagus »

I have been working with a Adafruit Feather RP2040 with USB Type A Host, using the datalogger example for mass storage with a USB thumb drive (IDE Arduino 2.3.2). All was going well (nice board!) until I tested whether it could use long file names. tl/dr; that perma-bricked the board.

In the datalogger example, I renamed the filename to "LongFileNameTest.txt". Apparently SdFat has no problem with long file names (see https://forum.arduino.cc/t/long-file-na ... /1205767/7 ) so I thought that TinyUsb might inherit this.

However, making this change bricked the board (uploading errored out & the serial port disappeared). OK, lesson learned, so I put the board into boot mode & uploaded factory-reset.uf2.

The serial port reappeared, but every time I upload *anything* to the board (including, e.g., blink) the upload errors out & the serial port disappears again, making the board unusable until factory-reset.uf2 is uploaded again & the cycle repeats. Uploading flash_nuke.uf2 first & then uploading factory_reset has no effect. Uploading anything results in being stuck on the "uploading" progress bar followed after ~30 seconds by "Port monitor error command 'open' failed: Serial port not found."

Unfortunately the USB host board is long out of stock at Adafruit & I only ordered one for testing, so I am stalled with my development project. Using the same IDE I can upload to other RP2040 boards perfectly well (e.g. Metro RP2040). Putting the USB host feather into boot mode & pasting the compiled logger uf2 into the boot folder has no effect either.

Did this perma-bricking of the RP2040 host feather board originate from one attempt to set a long file name? (Not sure how that's even possible.) Does anyone have any suggestions apart from despair & bourbon?

mikeysklar

Re: RP2040 USB host perma-bricked by long file name?

Post by mikeysklar »

Bourbon should help.

Since you are able to get the NUKE UF2 uploaded is it really necessary to mess with the factory image next?

Can you upload direct from Arduino u/l after nuke or try dropping a CircuitPython image on the RPI-RP2 drive?

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

To repeat: “Uploading anything results in being stuck on the "uploading" progress bar followed after ~30 seconds by "Port monitor error command 'open' failed: Serial port not found." This includes circuitpython uf2 files.

I would really appreciate some help but am beginning to think that I’ll need to give up & spin up a few of my own boards (seeing they’re no longer available from Adafruit) to continue the work. I naively thought that reporting the total bricking of a standard Adafruit product in normal use would produce more helpful advice, but here we are. Maybe this explains why this board has been out of stock for such a long time.

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

FYI,

Adafruit Feather RP2040
Product ID: 4884
$11.95
In stock

Bruce

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

It’s still out of stock

https://www.adafruit.com/product/5723

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

Oops, I got the wrong product.

heliophagus

Post by heliophagus »

OK, I give up - several days of effort & even conversing with Earle Philhower didn't solve this problem. I was a bit surprised that Adafruit tech support didn't have input. It seems that the board itself somehow lost its mind for reasons unknown & can't recover. Anyway, I've ordered more such boards now that they're back in stock. So the issue is resolved, after a fashion :)

Fingers crossed!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”