New CLUE won’t power up

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
trelease_ucla_edu

New CLUE won’t power up

Post by trelease_ucla_edu »

Hi,
just received another cool Adafruit shipment and I’m checking everything out.
Order Date: June 29, 2024 @ 6:01 PM
Order ID: 3314293-8682153679

Unfortunately, the new CLUE won’t power up via the usual USB power or with a freshly charged AF LiPo battery. No LEDs light on the board and the screen stays blank. DOA? Ex-parrot? ;)

(In contrast, the Feather nRF52840 Sense I also received powered up and ran the default blinky demo just fine on either the same battery or USB cable).

In decades of AF MCU boards use, I’d never had one that wouldn’t power up.

Can I just return this for a replacement?

Thanks for all the outstanding products, and have a great 4th of July!

Bob T

https://github.com/rtrelease/Jetson-Sym ... tLayout.md

https://github.com/rtrelease/Jetson-Sym ... lseData.md

trelease_ucla_edu

Re: New CLUE won’t power up

To paraphrase Gilda Radner’s Emily Litella:
Oh. Well that’s different, never mind!

I thought I’d give it another shot before giving up, and I plugged in USB power again, and nothing lit up.

On an impulse, I pressed the reset button, and everything started up as expected, with sensor data showing on the screen.

D’oh! Did I overlook something in the docs or Forum about reset acting as an on switch for Clue? Usually pretty good about RTFM ;)

The new Clue seems to start up the same way (reset once) when plugged into the micro:bit Crickit, after the Crickit is switched on.

Neither the CPX/B or the Feather Crickits require an MCU reset to run, and pressing reset to start Clue seems a bit disadvantageous for embedded applications.

Since I didn’t update the Clue software yet, perhaps the better question is if the latest software update would fix it so that pressing the reset button wouldn’t be required to startup the board.

Best,

Bob T

Hmmm….

dastels

Post by dastels »

That is odd behavior. It should just boot when powered. Other than that it's working as expected?

You could try updating the firmware. That might help. Regardless, let me know what happens and we can move forward.

Dave

trelease_ucla_edu

Ok. New data…

Connected to my trusty MCU edit host PC via USB:
Single reset starts builtin Clue sensor display program, which shows active data. No CircuitPy volume mounts (no biggie considering how other new ‘ino MCU boards sometimes start up).

Double click (various speeds) does NOT give me a ClueBoot volume; Clue continues to run the sensor display program.

If I disconnect then reconnect the USB cable, the Clue stays dark until I quickly double click the reset button. But no BOOT volume appears on the connected host PC. The Clue small LED flashes continuously while the NeoPixel is solid red.

Tried that double clicking several times but no CPBOOT volume shows up. Sometimes the NeoPixel turns green and the little red LED flashes more slowly and Clue display is dark/lit with no text.

So I can’t load the latest bootloader UF2 (0.8.2), let alone updating Clue CircuitPython.

What next? I suppose I could switch workstations and try burning the bootloader with Arduino (? up to date) or Linux nrfutil. Wouldn’t expect a solution after all this.

So maybe I should send it back to you for analysis and replacement.

What do you think?

Thanks

RBT

trelease_ucla_edu

Tried burning the bootloader with Arduino 1.8.19 with the Adafruit nrf52 Clue board selected. Arduino IDE shows the board connected on /dev/tty/ACM0: “Adafruit Clue, S140 6.1.1 Level 0 (Release), serial on /dev/tty/ACM0“

Burn bootloader failed with numerous error messages, beginning with “ Serial port could not be opened on /dev/tty/ACM0…

Interpretation: the Linux system and Arduino IDE says the Clue is on /dev/tty/ACM0, but the IDE can’t open the Clue serial port to burn the files…

Clue serial port malfunction?

Will try this on another Dell Xeon Ubuntu system that has Arduino 1.8.19 installed and proven operational.

Hacker@heart so I just keep trying stuff, but feel free to just tell me to send it back to Adafruit ;)

Thanks,
RBT

dastels

Post by dastels »

It sounds in pretty confused state.

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one CLUE.

Dave

trelease_ucla_edu

Thank you!

trelease_ucla_edu

Thanks for helping me get this sorted out!

I got the RMA’d Clue earlier, it powered up as expected, and I had it updated pretty quickly.

I had to use the Linux command line approach on my Ubuntu 20.04 Xeon RTX workstation because the replacement Clue wouldn’t handshake properly with Arduino 1.8.19 to burn the bootloader, as my earlier Feather Sense BLE had.

I note that nrfutil set up fine with /dev/ttyACM0, sent the DFU upgrade, then terminated with an error, but had successfully written the bootloader:

trelease@rt7920:~$ adafruit-nrfutil --verbose dfu serial --package clue_nrf52840_bootloader-0.9.1_s140_6.1.1.zip -p /dev/ttyACM0 -b 115200 --singlebank --touch 1200
Upgrading target on /dev/ttyACM0 with DFU package /home/trelease/clue_nrf52840_bootloader-0.9.1_s140_6.1.1.zip. Flow control is disabled, Single bank, Touch 1200
Touched serial port /dev/ttyACM0
Opened serial port /dev/ttyACM0
Starting DFU upgrade of type 3, SoftDevice size: 151016, bootloader size: 39000, application size: 0
Sending DFU start packet
Sending DFU init packet
Sending firmware file
########################################
####################################Timed out waiting for acknowledgement from device.

Failed to upgrade target. Error is: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed…

so maybe the MCU and port reset as soon as the bootloader was received?

Anyway, the new Clue is now successfully running CPy 9.1 and doing the iOS Circuit Playground app service demos etc.

I’m guessing the differences in nrf52840 board update processes relate directly to the different older bootloader in each device, from .uf DnD for CPB, to Arduino bootloader burn for Feather Sense BLE, to nrfutil for the .22 Clue bootloader.

All’s well that ends well, and the three different platforms with BLE with sensors and Crickits are great! Wish I’d gotten onto them earlier for my HS STEM robotics clients!

Best regards,
[‘DB]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “CLUE Board”