Adafruit RP2040 Prop-Maker Feather 5V power for the external NeoPixels

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Uselesshippy

Adafruit RP2040 Prop-Maker Feather 5V power for the external NeoPixels

Post by Uselesshippy »

From reading the Pin outs it looks like this pin is enabled/disabled by setting GPIO23.
I'm not planning on using Neopixels in my current project, but I'd like to use a 5v led strip light, can I power this from the NeoPixels 5v output and switch it on and off with GPIO23?

What is the max current supported by the 5v external power pin? ie how many NeoPixels can it power?

dastels

Re: Adafruit RP2040 Prop-Maker Feather 5V power for the external NeoPixels

Post by dastels »

I don't know about GPIO23... it's labelled D10.

But yes, it controls the power to the NeoPixel connector as well as the RGB LED power and the amplifier.

It's only 5v when powered by USB (connector or pin), otherwise it's the battery voltage. The current is limited by what the USB or battery can provide. Similarly, the number of pixels/leds that can be powered depends on that available current.

Dave

Uselesshippy

Post by Uselesshippy »

Thank you.
Just to confirm if I turn off the 5v power for the NeoPixels it will turn off the amp as well?
Might not be usable for what I want then.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yes. That is what I said.

Dave

laobian312

Post by laobian312 »

This thread generally talks about what I'm concerned with. Let me just ask a few questions, helping clarify things further for me.

If I use a 30W USB-C adapter to power the P-M Feather, that means that I will have about 6A of current available to use through the Neopixel V+ connector (given a 5V Neopixel string), correct? If so, I could also scale up the current available using a commensurately more powerful USB-C adapter, yes? Is there a practical limit to how much external current could go through the on-board power regulator/connector?

Of course, I could just bypass the connector's power pin and wire the USB power directly to the Neopixel string (or wire another power supply directly to the string, say a 12VDC one), but I'd rather take advantage of the ability to turn off the pixel string's power using EXTERNAL_POWER, programmatically. Anything here where I'm not getting it right?

Finally, is there any problem using an RGBW SK6812 pixel string?

Thanks in advance!

dastels

Post by dastels »

LaoBian, please make a new thread rather than hijacking this one.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”