UPDI Friend out of date info, can't get it working on a ATtiny412.

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
clockworkrobot

UPDI Friend out of date info, can't get it working on a ATtiny412.

Post by clockworkrobot »

I've been trying to program an ATtiny412 with a UPDI Friend for adafruit in the arduino IDE using these instructions.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-upd ... -with-updi

It's not going great. First the URL for the "Additional Boards Manager URLs list", it won't work in the IDE as it appears to have invalid certificates. I managed to download it with a browser then in arduino IDE version 2.3.3 it appeared to work. I wanted to get it running in version 1.8.13 but it would not load from the internet or locally.

Upon getting that to work on 2.3.3, I selected the chip:
ATtiny412/etc
selected the programmer SerialUPDI - SLOW: 57600 baud.
and attempted to "upload using programmer"

This gave me the following error:

Sketch uses 814 bytes (22%) of program storage space. Maximum is 3584 bytes.
Global variables use 10 bytes (3%) of dynamic memory, leaving 246 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 256 bytes.
"ERROR: Upload using programmer is not supported on optiboot boards""C:\Users\ThinkPad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\megaTinyCore\tools\python3\3.7.2-post1/python3" -u "C:\Users\ThinkPad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\megaTinyCore\hardware\megaavr\2.5.1/tools/prog.py" -t uart -u COM9 -b 57600 -d attiny412 --fuses 2:0x02 6:0x04 8:0x02 "-fC:\Users\ThinkPad\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino\sketches\0A8B5ADC1D2C6817DE64331700599CD8/ZXSpectrumIF2.ino.hex" -a write
Failed programming: cannot execute upload tool: exec: "ERROR: Upload using programmer is not supported on optiboot boards\"\"C:\\Users\\ThinkPad\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\megaTinyCore\\tools\\python3\\3.7.2-post1/python3": file does not exist

"python3: file does not exist" - so I explored that directory. The file "python3.exe" does exist.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should try next?
Thanks.
Thanks.

clockworkrobot

Re: UPDI Friend out of date info, can't get it working on a ATtiny412.

Post by clockworkrobot »

I did find an alternative URL for the board package:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Spenc ... index.json
and that let me load the boards into the older ide but it throws the same error, can't find "python3". :/

clockworkrobot

Post by clockworkrobot »

update, so although the programmer command fails in the ide environment, if i run it from the command line, the programmer appears to respond, pull the chip id, set the fuses appears to write the hex file but fails to verify.

pymcuprog.programmer - INFO - Verifying...
pymcuprog.programmer - ERROR - Verify failed: Verify mismatch starting at location 0x000200: 0x19 vs 0x00
Action took 0.14s

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hmm - maybe you need to unlock it? also try a slower frequency

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”