Raspberry Pi zero 2w not working

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Nick2116

Raspberry Pi zero 2w not working

Post by Nick2116 »

At idle (~2-3% CPU usage shown in htop), the core temperature was at 89°C in an open-air environment where it typically idles at 45-50°C. I haven't made any recent changes to the hardware or software. I removed the power to let it cool down for a while and later tried to power it back up, but there was no LED activity and no HDMI output while drawing a tad bit of power, I have tried 2 SD cards to no avail!

Full-res Images are attached through this link.
https://nick2116.media/files/etc/rpi/

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry Pi zero 2w not working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

250mA is fairly high for a Zero.

What voltages do you see on the 3.3V and 5V GPIO pins?

Nick2116

Re: Raspberry Pi zero 2w not working

Post by Nick2116 »

adafruit_support_mike wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 12:56 am 250mA is fairly high for a Zero.

What voltages do you see on the 3.3V and 5V GPIO pins?
Hi,

The voltage on 3.3V is nearly 3.5 volts, voltage on 5 is shown on the USB meter, and it boots now. I'm not sure what happened, but the power draw at idle is almost 3 watts with no CPU load or GUI running. The core temperature is still around 83°C and it is thermal throttling. The core test pad is at 1.32 volts potential versus GND.

https://nick2116.media/files/etc/rpi/7- ... T3yOJS.jpg

After letting the Pi cool and rebooting 5 minutes later, there's no activity at all and 0.2V on the 3.3V rail. Briefly tapping the 5V rail to the 3.3V rail appears to kickstart the Pi, but I think this is an unsafe practice. The power draw remains the same at 3-3.2W, which is abnormally high, and the PAM2306AYPKE in the power management area of the board is extremely warm but still providing 3.4V and the 1.8V rail is nearly at 2V. Examining both 5V and 3.3V rails with an oscilloscope shows no dangerous noise below 125KHz.

Apologies for the late response I was out of my lab for a few days.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”