yBox Implementation

Talk about YBoxen, widgets, Propeller hacking, etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thetribster

yBox Implementation

Post by thetribster »

http://tastethecloud.com/content/itv-idea
The link above takes you to a series of screen shots showing the yBox spewing out dozens of screens. The pics are not the greatest but show the idea of iTV, something I worked on last fall. I made 20 yBoxes and gave them away to friends, family that now they use these to get their own custom screens of info. I've trained to look at the yBox instead of commercials! Very cool stuff.

adafruit

Re: yBox Implementation

Post by adafruit »

WOW! :shock:

this is incredible!

Do you have the php code still? We would love to host this on adafruit for yboxers

ex-h0trod

Post by ex-h0trod »

this is AWESOME! tried something kind of like it (on a much smaller scale) with the original ybox and would love to play with this on the ybox2. hope you decide to post the code up for all of us.

j

phil.drummond

Post by phil.drummond »

The link to the original poster's content has died. Does anyone have an archive I can look at?

Thanks

thetribster

Post by thetribster »

Here is the link: http://www.tastethecloud.com/content/idea-itv, not sure why it stopped working because the post is still there. If you still have trouble just go to the site and look search for itv. I do have the code but without documentation it would be hard for someone to figure out, I use lots of different files to drive decision on where to go, when and what to get. It is unfortunate that the propeller doesn't really support decent graphics renderings, this is all text based.

I bought 25 of the yBox2 devices and gave them to friend and family, I then sent them an email with questions so I could fill out there profile. The questions include

..financial info like stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc
..zip codes to track weather, airport and local traffic, upcoming events, etc
..keywords for important stories
..sports teams they track
..baseball teams for game day displays (I actually show the like game stats)
..addresses to track politicians, home price changes, major weather events, etc.
..birth month for horoscope

Some of the questions allow a parameter to be checked and a color to be indicated for the LED to display. Example is market up=Green, market down=red, market closed=yellow. They can also select colors for weather conditions like rain=red, cloudy=yellow, etc. I haven't worked on this for about 6 months now, I didn't think it could become a product without good graphics support but it makes a nice toy or gadget.

If Adafruit wants the code to run off their servers I'd be happy to hand it over and help out with the setup, explanation and so on. I think it would be a very cool service to offer the yBox users. The model allows for individual device configuration so each yBox2 can have its very own set of screens and parameters.

I think this site is great, I've blogged about it a few times and am planning a dedicated post to Citizen Scientists which will include a section on Adafruit, the products and more importantly the community. Thanks for the interest, again the link is: http://www.tastethecloud.com/content/idea-itv

phil.drummond

Post by phil.drummond »

Fantastic!
Thank you so very much for the link... the images are worth any amount of trouble.
I would love to have my Ybox2 doing the stuff in those images, graphics are really not needed!

Thanks!

ex-h0trod

Post by ex-h0trod »

phil.drummond wrote:Fantastic!
Thank you so very much for the link... the images are worth any amount of trouble.
I would love to have my Ybox2 doing the stuff in those images, graphics are really not needed!

Thanks!
i concur. i hope we can find a way to run this stuff, whether adafruit hosts it or not.

j

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Adafruit would very much like to host the php files. just send email to support@adafruit and we will get on it! :mrgreen:

nezb

Post by nezb »

Has there been any progress on this? I'd love to see these php scripts open sourced :D

Post by 780 »

Any word on this?

The link http://www.tastethecloud.com/content/idea-itv goes to a suspended account page

google cache only has text

:lol:

phil.drummond

Post by phil.drummond »

The link has died, gone the way of my Ybox2... ok, it's not dead but there's so little that works it's like it's dead.
The Ybox2 is such a nice device. I wish more clever people (this does not count me) would adopt it and produce Widgets for all of owners to use.
I would love a Widget to display the video.cgi link from my web-enabled IP camera.
A Widget that acts as a little web server would be fun too!
Mostly, I would like to have a working twitter Widget. <--- that one is like whipping a dead horse, sorry about that.

Anyone out there still playing with their Ybox2?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “YBox2 (discontinued)”