USB micrososcope warranty

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zaphodB

USB micrososcope warranty

Post by zaphodB »

Hi gentle folks of Adafruit!

First of all I wish you all the best in the recovery process from the recent weather mishap! Good to hear that nobody has been hurt and that you maintain an extremely socially responsible attitude towards your employees. The world would be a far better place if more companies would take care of their people the way you did!

Now for my question: recently I bought the USB microscope and I have been having already a lot of fun with it. Yesterday, after a few weeks of inactivity, I hooked the scope up again and after a few minutes suddenly all my USB equipment fell out, the USB hub "rebooted". It took me a while to figure out what had happened, and I'm still not sure what did. But I do now have one of the 8 leds not working anymore. Also, everytime I try to alter the magnification, the USB hub fails again and I loose my picture.
So I suspect that the scope is now drawing a bit to much power with one led down, hence the restarts of the hub.
What is your policy with regard to warranty on this product? I bought the scope on August 15th with order number #169121.

Best regards to all of you!

Rob.

adafruit

Re: USB micrososcope warranty

Post by adafruit »

sounds like a replacement is in order - email support@adafruit with a link to this thread

zaphodB

Post by zaphodB »

Hi folks there at Adafruit,

thank you for your awesome service. Today I received my replacement USB microscope and it is working excellent, just like the one before!
Lets hope this one does not die on me again....
For testing purposes I just took some shots of the dust and other stuff between my keyboard keys (should not have done that, yuck!).

best wishes and thank what ever überbeing that it is almost Christmas, so I have an excuse to order some things on my wishlist again...

Bye!
Rob

zaphodB

Post by zaphodB »

Hi, just a short update!

Since I do now have a new and good working microscope, I took advantage of the opportunity to tear my defective one apart to see what actually the problem was.
In the process I destroyed some connections (which I may be able to restore again), but I think I found the culprit: my 80 dollar USB microscope has flunked because of a blown 10 cent smd 150 ohm resistor. The led it was powering is actually still ok. I desoldered the resistor, but I do not have SMD resistors lying around here, so I have to pick some up next week at a local store and see if I can get it working again.
A great learning experience though I have been offered by this great customer service at Adafruit!

R.

turcol

Post by turcol »

Hi Adafruit folks,

I recently purchased the USB Microscope (5M), and last Friday arrived. I connected right away to the USB port at the PC, and the Microscope was recognized by Windows. I installed the software that it came with it, and I was able to see the picture on the screen (very dark and blurry as it was not that much light around). Then I decided it was time to use the build-in LEDs the Microscope have, however after few minutes I realized that the LEDs were not working at all, not even after moving the adjustment on the Microscope.

It looks like this microscope arrived with the LEDs connection broken.

The order number is 195909 on Nov 12, 2012

What is the warranty for this product?

Regards,

Turcol

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is a thumbwheel on the side of the scope to adjust the led intensity. If moving that doesn't work, contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement.

turcol

Post by turcol »

I already moved to both ends the thumbwheel and the LEDs do not turn on. The email again to [email protected], as it keep asking to post the information in the forum. Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The email again to [email protected], as it keep asking to post the information in the forum.
Be sure to include the link to this thread in your email.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”