There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

micro SD card reader
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

micro SD card reader

by bowlofred on Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 am

Does the micro sd card reader in the RPi bundle do anything without a card inside?

Even though there are no explicit instructions for XP, I found a program that may work. I put the reader in my XP machine (without a card) and it did a little driver dance and asked for a reboot.

Since that time, nothing happens when I put the reader in a machine. Nothing happens in the system tray whether I've got a micro card loaded or not.

I finally got a Windows 7 machine to try it on and it doesn't do anything on that either (and the Fedora remix installer doesn't see any devices).

Did I zap it somehow?

bowlofred

Re: micro SD card reader

by adafruit on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:41 pm

should be ok, but do put a card inside! at worst, try going to the device manager and uninstalling the driver so it gets another go-around

adafruit

by bowlofred on Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:24 am

Either I am very unlucky, or I don't know what I'm doing. Suggestions, please. :)

*) What driver would I expect to be able to uninstall? I don't see anything obvious in the device manager. Nothing changes between plugging and unplugging (either with or without the SD card).\
*) I now have access to a machine with an SD card slot. I was able to write the card. Having the written card in the USB reader still doesn't show anything.
*) My Pi boots, but with multiple attempts with 2 different keyboards, I can't interact with it. I get the config screen, but the keyboard doesn't move anything around (tried wheezy-raspbian and occidentalis).
*) Plugging in an ethernet cable doesn't show link up.

bowlofred

by adafruit on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 pm

for a replacement USB card reader email support@adafruit

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.