5MP USB Microscope software

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Minnesota

5MP USB Microscope software

Post by Minnesota »

Just received the 5MP microscope and was able to get it to work. It is far better than those cheap ones out there, so thank you for making a good alternative available.

A couple of issues:
1. The software does not operate at the advertised resolution of the device (2560x1920). The max setting is 1600x1200 which is just 1.9MP. I feel a bit ripped-off. What can be done? Is the software going to be updated? Is there software that will work with it at 5MP?

2. In the image edit mode, where you may want to add dimensions, once you save it you can't bring it back up again to see it or edit it further ... or is there a way?

Thanks

adafruit

Re: 5MP USB Microscope software

Post by adafruit »

the image sensor itself is 5MP, but a 5MP image from the camera needs to be downsampled to ~2MP for it to not look fuzzy. we did comparisons with a 2MP camera and this one does have more detail but it only looks clear if its down at 2mp

the image edit mode is not well supported, so you may want to import the image into some CAD tool for more editing

Minnesota

Post by Minnesota »

I'm not thrilled with that answer. Perhaps a modification to your advertising is in order.

I also was excited by the ability to measure items in the image using the edit feature, but after testing it I found it to be dangerously inaccurate and full of bugs.

The one nice thing that it comes with is a calibration target made up of a grid using 0.1mm spacings. This can then be used as an overlay on a captured image in order to obtain accurate measurements. Though I'm an EE and a "normal" customer, I'm using the microscope for petrology initially - studying the weathering of granite. It's the best value around. Large image, adjustable (dimmer) LED lighting, and easy to install.

Thanks.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

drop us an email to [email protected] we've sold thousands of these and not had this feedback - we're always looking to improve the descriptions and we'll check that out and we'll work out a return/refund for you.

thanks!
adafruit support, phil

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”