Cellular Communication, Shelter in the Woods

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryguy69t

Cellular Communication, Shelter in the Woods

Post by ryguy69t »

Hi,
I am working on a project to communicate with a cabin in the woods. I would like to be able to control lights, locks, and be alerted by a motion sensor from my home or cell phone. The cabin is across the city about 5 miles is running off a small solar panel so my solution must be low power. I've ruled out using radio because of interference.

Question: Will cellular communication be a good idea?

Franklin97355

Re: Cellular Communication, Shelter in the Woods

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you can get cell service at the cabin it should work. I think there was an article in Nuts & Volts a few months ago about this exact thing.

john444

Post by john444 »

Hi RyGuy,

If you have cell service you might checkout the GeoGram 1 at http://www.dsscircuits.com.
It can send and recieve SMS messages and the one I have works very well.

Good Luck, John

ryguy69t

Post by ryguy69t »

I wonder if the Geogram ONE is overkill for my project, I don't need GPS or an accelerometer. I just need the bare bones transmit and receive. I already own an Arduino, accelerometer and GPS module. Also, forgive my lack of knowledge but is 2G standard? I hear about 10g 5, 4, and 3g but never 2g or lower. I've heard of the SM5100B Evaluation Board by sparkfun and the GSM Playground but I don't know the differences or the any info on the ease of use. I'm a noob at all this, I first picked up an Arduino in November.

john444

Post by john444 »

RyGuy,

I do not know about SparkFun's unit.
I have this one and it works well. As you say, lots of features.
2G is less expensive than the alternaives.
I am paying $20/year. Otherwise, it would not be practical for me.
Phone charges quickly exceed the cost of the hardware.

Good Luck, John

ryguy69t

Post by ryguy69t »

John,
What plan/sim card are you using? Is it also possible to send text messages to the arduino and have it perform a task? For example I want to turn on one light by texting it '1' an two lights by sending '2' and so on.

redwire

Post by redwire »

I do a lot of remote monitoring using cell communication, in isolated areas. Range depends on what coverage your provider offers, i.e. GSM or HSPA etc. and where the cabin is. I use 7-9dB Yagi antennas on a mast 10-20' high (to clear the trees) for about a 12 mile hop. Careful when the tree leaves come out that you don't lose comms due to foliage attenuation. If you are in a valley, it's pretty tough. I've seen people "bounce" signals aimed into a hill, but rain stops all that. If you spend some time querying the cell modem module RSSI, you can find the best signal strength.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”