Please change the silkscreening on the spokepov ver 1.1

SpokePOV kit for bikes

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
thinwing

Please change the silkscreening on the spokepov ver 1.1

Post by thinwing »

Well I really pulled a good one,basically ruined a new spoke pov board by following vers 1 instructions,matching up lcd to match silkscreening on board like I have done with so many other projects..and after finding version 1.1 instuctions which state leads to edge of board ,wired every lcd in backward!!!Even with a hot air reflow setup on my desk...unsoldering 44 lcds is more than I want to do...any to prevent future confusion...please print a warning that lcd silkscreening on boards is backward and to ignore...regards dumba**

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Please change the silkscreening on the spokepov ver 1.1

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sorry for the confusion. I think the issue is that the silkscreen is cut off on the "round" side, making it look like the "flat" side. Does that sound right?
Anyway, please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement SpokePOV kit.

thinwing

Post by thinwing »

thanks for great.customer service..a little voice was suspicious but was reassured by turning board over and seeing the flat sided lcd screen printing on the lcd row in the middle of the board oriented same way.Thing is..I should have known better ,cause that would have been opposite a latch/led circuit I have seen in past.Just tired after work I guess.

pngai

Post by pngai »

I did the exact same thing with my SpokePOV. Unfortunately I soldered according to the silkscreen and not the written instructions. After all sixty LEDs were soldered, I powered up the board and found no lights. I could connect the SpokePOV via USBtiny and download the pre-loaded images. I tested for voltage on the LED and found that it was getting good voltage.

Here's the kicker, the issue though is not the silkscreen, but with the LED itself. Normally the flat side of the LED is the cathode (short) side but the ones I received have the flat side on the anode (long) side so if you match the silkscreen, they will be backwards. This means the long lead is on the inside of the board. I have the red LED kit.

I'm wondering if that's the reason why so many people are mixing it up.

Anyways, I have a crazy amount of desolder and resoldering as well. Is there any way that I can get a replacement as well. I received the order as a gift, but can get their information.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

@pngai - Sure, we can replace it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement SpokePOV.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

Instructions have been clarified. If you got a bad kit, just email support for a new one!

https://learn.adafruit.com/spokepov/spokepov#step-18

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SpokePOV (discontinued)”