Laser Beam Break Sensor Problem (PID 2122)

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mihai_antonescu

Laser Beam Break Sensor Problem (PID 2122)

Post by mihai_antonescu »

Hey all!

I am a EE student from the UK and I wanted to incorporate the Laser Beam Break Sensor from Adafruit.com in my 4th year project but I encountered a few problems. So I ordered the product and I tried testing it to check its functionality because I was looking forward to see this device working. I connected it as it describes in the text (+5V on the red pin, ground on black pin, pull-up 10K ohm resistor on the blue pin) and to visualize the output I connected a voltmeter between the blue pin and ground. But when I turned on the voltage source, my first observation was that the laser was not very bright... I mean it was nowhere near to what it was presented in the video... well first I though my voltage source was broken so I changed from my Ni Elvis board to an Agilent DC Power Supply but still the same result... I cranked up the voltage up to +10V(the laser was drawing now about 50mA) and was now brighter but still not as bright as the one in the presentation video.
Next problem... the output from my device did not change the entire time I was testing... it stayed constantly at +1.7V... even when I had something close to it (my hand or cardboard as the website suggests).
So what should I do now? Am I doing something wrong? Is the device broken? Help?

Best regards,
Mihai

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Laser Beam Break Sensor Problem (PID 2122)

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Can you post a picture of your connections?

mihai_antonescu

Post by mihai_antonescu »

Photo attached. You can see the laser spot is not bright at all.
Attachments
Circuit photo
Circuit photo
Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 1.03.34 PM.png (800.55 KiB) Viewed 4151 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement sensor

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”