Maxbotix Ultrasonic Rangefinder - LV-EZ1 - LV-EZ1

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
let_us_eat_cake

Maxbotix Ultrasonic Rangefinder - LV-EZ1 - LV-EZ1

Post by let_us_eat_cake »

Total noob here. I am interesting in purchasing this sensor: https://www.adafruit.com/products/172 to use with my newly acquired GoPiGo. Problem is, I have no idea what cables I would need to hook this thing up, nor do I have a soldering gun! Is there a pre soldered version of this? I know that the part that plugs in the the GoPiGo needs to have 4 pins, but other than that I have no idea. Any help?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Maxbotix Ultrasonic Rangefinder - LV-EZ1 - LV-EZ1

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't have any experience with the GoPiGo and I didn't find any pinouts for it in a quick search.

The Maxbotix sensors do not come pre-wired, but can be wired for either serial communication, pulse-width or analog.

Analog is simplest, you just need +5v, GND and AN. AN must connect to an analog pin and reports the distance as a variable voltage. The Pi has no native analog inputs, not sure about the GoPiGo, so this may not be an option

Puse-width wiring needs +5v, GND and PW. PW is connected to a digital GPIO pin. Distance is reported as a variable pulse width that you can time in your code.

Serial is a little more complicated. You will need +5v, GND plus Rx and Tx. The Maxbotix uses RS232 signaling conventions which are inverted from the TTL serial used by most microcontrollers. The range is reported as an ASCII string.

http://maxbotix.com/documents/LV-MaxSon ... asheet.pdf

let_us_eat_cake

adafruit_support_bill wrote:I don't have any experience with the GoPiGo and I didn't find any pinouts for it in a quick search.

The Maxbotix sensors do not come pre-wired, but can be wired for either serial communication, pulse-width or analog.

Analog is simplest, you just need +5v, GND and AN. AN must connect to an analog pin and reports the distance as a variable voltage. The Pi has no native analog inputs, not sure about the GoPiGo, so this may not be an option

Puse-width wiring needs +5v, GND and PW. PW is connected to a digital GPIO pin. Distance is reported as a variable pulse width that you can time in your code.

Serial is a little more complicated. You will need +5v, GND plus Rx and Tx. The Maxbotix uses RS232 signaling conventions which are inverted from the TTL serial used by most microcontrollers. The range is reported as an ASCII string.

http://maxbotix.com/documents/LV-MaxSon ... asheet.pdf
Thank you!!!
I have attached an image of where it would connect on the GoPiGo. Is this of any help?
Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 5.58.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 5.58.57 PM.png (434.09 KiB) Viewed 998 times

adafruit_support_bill

That shows a 4-pin connection. I would need to know what the 4 pins are.

let_us_eat_cake

adafruit_support_bill wrote:That shows a 4-pin connection. I would need to know what the 4 pins are.
This doesn't say what the 4 pins are, but does confirm that the port I was talking about is analog
1920x1280xGoPiGo_Top.jpg.pagespeed.ic.LnQyB99tBohCol3GUUOO.jpg
1920x1280xGoPiGo_Top.jpg.pagespeed.ic.LnQyB99tBohCol3GUUOO.jpg (267.77 KiB) Viewed 991 times
edit: figured I would attach the bottom side as well
1024x689xGoPiGo_Bottom-1024x689.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TKyaTNZ9UxI6VmBTAaZ_.jpg
1024x689xGoPiGo_Bottom-1024x689.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TKyaTNZ9UxI6VmBTAaZ_.jpg (112.92 KiB) Viewed 990 times

adafruit_support_bill

Well, that is a start. You should be able to use the analog output of the Maxbotix sensor. But you will need to know the full pinout of the connector as well as the analog input range.

let_us_eat_cake

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Well, that is a start. You should be able to use the analog output of the Maxbotix sensor. But you will need to know the full pinout of the connector as well as the analog input range.
I will work on getting this and post again when I find it. I appreciate the help.

let_us_eat_cake

The cable is a 4 wire cable and the pinout is (GND,+5V,SIG,SIG) for (Black,Red,White,Yellow). On the analog port, both the white and the yellow are connected to A1. What do I need to buy?

adafruit_support_bill

If both signal wires are connected to A1, then it doesn't matter which one you use. Finding a compatible connector is another story. That looks like some type of JST connector or similar. The GoPiGo folks should be able to tell you what kind they are and/or where to find them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”