"snuff box" - my midisense ADiO controller, pics i

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nym

"snuff box" - my midisense ADiO controller, pics i

Post by nym »

i build this last week and used it to control Reaper in my latest recording project, an 8 hour session with a folk singer (acoustic guitar). i decided call it the snuff box, in reference to the late Kurt Vonnegut's "Bagombo Snuff Box," a collection of his short stories.

4 faders, 1 knob, a mod wheel (no center detent, spring removed), and 5 buttons.
the front frame is secured by that one screw/washer you see at the very top. i may file off the top part of the washer just for aesthetics, but i REALLY like how all i have to do is unscrew 1 screw to gain access to the guts. once the screw is secured, the frame fits snug and does not rattle.

i used the knob for pan control of selected track(s), far right fader for volume control of selected track(s). the wooden frame is made of cherry and is sanded smooth.

the red button toggles REC ON for selected track(s), other buttons control mute, solo, and other functions.

the device is powered by a standard 9v keyboard adapter and connects to my computer using an m-audio uno

the snuff box is built on the midisense ADiO platform (http://www.ladyada.net/make/midisense/)

this project is the first one that i call "done." it's a very handy way to improve my workflow on my daw. using reaper's keyboard preset switching, i can quickly run through a number of user-defined preset controls for this thing - with the click of a button i could change the way Reaper interprets these ccs, in effect giving me endless choice of how i want this thing to control my DAW, my VSTs, and other stuff.

a good project. future ones will be cooler, but for its purpose, this is just what i needed.

nym

Post by nym »

is there any advice for decreasing "jitter," in which a potentiometer held steady/stopped completely continuously sends out data flickering between values?

i'd love a recommendation on this as far as tweaking the hardware goes.

skelo

Post by skelo »

very cool project !

nym

Post by nym »

thank you skelo, i have enjoyed your projects as well.

Je parle en français simple pour Google à traduire. Je suis désolé de ne pas parler français. s’il vous plaît répondre en français simple, si vous possédez l'époque.

Je remarque que vos projets déclencher notes midi données. faites-vous un projet qui est sensible à la vélocité?

J'espère un jour construire une batterie MIDI avec MIDISENSE.

skelo

Post by skelo »

thank you !

I have no project with velocity sensors.
I use a on/off switch
sorry for my little little english

Ladyada : midisense is compatible with velocity ? for another version ?
and sorry for my last mail ! I'm a stupid guy ! my new midisense project run run run !!!! I'll post a video soon here !

:wink:

skelo

Post by skelo »

nomuse

Post by nomuse »

Sorry for bringing up an old thread...but where did you find the mod wheel component? I've been looking for those.

nym

Post by nym »

took it from my m-audio radium49. i don't know where to buy them in bulk unfortunately. don't know how to search for something like that

jim

Re: "snuff box" - my midisense ADiO controller, pics i

Post by jim »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zyzak/2612318551/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zyzak/2612317961/

you folks are a great inspiration, but my last show was uninspired

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”