Use larger battery on Kaleidoscope goggles project

Forum announcements

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
toneevan

Use larger battery on Kaleidoscope goggles project

Post by toneevan »

Hi there

I'm still learning my way around, l'm in the process of building the Kaleidoscope Neopixel goggles with bluetooth control. heres the link to the project page: https://learn.adafruit.com/kaleidoscope ... nket-gemma

However the details of the project only mention a 150mAh or a 500mAh battery.

For these goggles l'm building, l want them to last longer so can l add a 2000Ah battery instead? If so, then do l need to make any changes to the wiring or the neopixel coding?

Also how do l change the neopixels from the rotating lights function to just a still light function that doesn't move around? l appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Use larger battery on Kaleidoscope goggles project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

A larger LiPo batter would not require any changes to the wiring or the code.

To stop the "spinny wheels" from spinning, you can comment out this line:

Code: Select all

offset++;

dartfrog01

Post by dartfrog01 »

for what its worth, This past weekend I wore a set of these googles to an event with the stock adafruit rainbow/ecto sketch with brightness = 85. At this brightness level a new 500mAh battery ran the display all night, ie at least 8 hours, and no less than 12 when I bench tested it. After dark you could probably lower the brightness some more, for extra run time.
I've not worked a run time out for the goggles including the bluetooth LE module yet but plan to figure it out in the next few days. I need to complete the modular set-up I have in mind in case I don't want bluetooth control for some reason (power restrictions, interference,...).
My guess is that run time is highly dependent on how much the bluetooth control is used?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Bluetooth LE is fairly low-power. But it will still have an impact on battery life. Transmit takes more power than receive, so if the goggles are only receiving it should not be too bad.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Announcements”