compiling midisense software / firmware

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
THW_Mark

compiling midisense software / firmware

Post by THW_Mark »

so, my midisense is ready to get rocking (except i still dont have my frikkin' usb midi interface)

anyway, a friend of me and i were discussing some of the functions/possibilities of midisense and have some ideas that require a bit of control logic. I've downloaded the firmware/software from the cvs repository and it looks clear to me (compliments on the comments!).. but im having some issues compiling.

I tried to compile using microsoft visual studio 2008 compiler. I installed wxwidgets and added the include folder. Now, i get reports that wxmidi.h and wxmididatabase.cpp are "in MAC file format", something with faulty linebreaks. Any idea's how to resolve this?

Or, is there just another (easier?) way to compile source in windows without using the visual studio compiler?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

whats the thing you want it to do?

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

i want to attach a ribbon strip to an analog port.
then a digital push button to a dport.

in the software, you can choose whether a ribbon strip keeps sending its last touch or drop it on release. i want to use the switch to change between those options live.

the second thing i want to do, which is less important, is to use one or more digital switches to change the midi signal assignment of the analog ports.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

can you maybe use MAX/MSP to do some of these hacks? it would be like 23409823428 times easier :)

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

i dont have any experience with max/msp, but from what i read, i take it is a package that should run at your pc to interpret the midi data and then do something with that.

the midisense setup should eventually (when configging is done) work without a pc. I want to create an interface that controls (one, or multiple) guitar effects by putting a limited number of knobs/sliders on the guitar, a midisense controller on/in the back and a link to the guitar effects. I don't have all the stuff here to test it, but i will post some more details later.

anyway, because no computer will be connected in the end, i thought i couldnt use max/msp and thought about adding features to the software.

but about building the midisense software, did you build it on a windows pc? or just on your mac and then run it in windows?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

i dont think you want to hack the software, i think you mean the firmware
the software is only for configuring it

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

hmmm, well my idea was to get both working (be able to compile them) so that 'new' firmware features can be enabled/disabled from the user interface.

But.. now i think of it, can i just upload the firmware using midi or do i need to get myself a usb/avr programmer?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

you can do it with midi (the bootloader) but since this may be a rather arduous process i would invest in an avr programmer :)

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

hmm ye, you got a point there. Especially when developping, it is easy to screw it. Ehm, well, actually it is hard to not screw it the first time ;)

is there any documentation on how you compiled/assembled the firmware? it is the one part in your avr tutorial that is not ready yet ;) Maybe you can tell me what packages you used, i hope i can figure it out then..

Thanks for the quick replies so far!

THW_Mark

Post by THW_Mark »

oke, managed to compile the software in windows. if you just install the necessary tools to compile the arduino sketches, you can run the makefile of the midisense firmware as well.

compiling the windows application is a bit more of a problem. First of all, the "bk-deps" file in the repository uses dos-based linebreaks. They should be converted to unix breaks before compiling under cygwin, or you will get strange errors.

But then the following error comes up:

Code: Select all

$ make
./bk-deps g++ -c -o AvrMIDIBootload.o -D__WXMSW__     -I..  `wx-config --cxxflags` -ggdb -O0 -mthreads -Wall -Wundef -Wno-ctor-dtor-privacy ../AvrMIDIBootload.cpp
In file included from ../wxmidi.h:77,
                 from ../datalink.h:3,
                 from ../AvrMIDIBootload.cpp:4:
../portmidi.h:1101: error: expected `)' before '<<' token
../portmidi.h:1101: error: expected `,' or `;' before '<<' token
../portmidi.h:1247: error: `PmMessage' does not name a type
In file included from ../datalink.h:3,
                 from ../AvrMIDIBootload.cpp:4:
../wxmidi.h: In constructor `wxMidiShortMessage::wxMidiShortMessage(wxByte, wxByte, wxByte)':
../wxmidi.h:307: error: 'struct PmEvent' has no member named 'message'
../wxmidi.h: In member function `virtual wxByte wxMidiShortMessage::GetStatus()':
../wxmidi.h:331: error: 'struct PmEvent' has no member named 'message'
../wxmidi.h: In member function `wxByte wxMidiShortMessage::GetData1()':
../wxmidi.h:333: error: 'struct PmEvent' has no member named 'message'
../wxmidi.h: In member function `wxByte wxMidiShortMessage::GetData2()':
../wxmidi.h:335: error: 'struct PmEvent' has no member named 'message'
../wxmidi.h: At global scope:
../wxmidi.h:607: error: `PmMessage' has not been declared
../wxmidi.h:607: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `message' with no type
make: *** [AvrMIDIBootload.o] Error 1
is the cvs repository up to date / bugfree? Or am i doing something wrong here?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

the cvs respository needs cleaning :(

herr_prof

Re: compiling midisense software / firmware

Post by herr_prof »

I was wondering if this attempt to add logic to the board was successful? What i'd like to do is have one fader, two knobs and five modifier buttons. Each button would change which cc's the fader and knobs send while depressed. I would like avoid having to do this on the pc side, but can in a pinch.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”