IR Break Beam Sensor - 3mm LEDs

Post test messages here

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
autolib

IR Break Beam Sensor - 3mm LEDs

Post by autolib »

Hello,

I purchased 10 units of item IR Break Beam Sensor - 3mm LEDs PID: 2167 back on 12/22/2014. I started using them yesterday in our current project and I was getting erroneous results with the project ( breaking the beam was not being picked up (1 or 0), it might work every twenty tries, see Defective sensors.png). I double and triple checked the project and reduced the code to outputting a simple High or Low state and discovered the sensors are all faulty. I bough these sensors from Adafruit in the past and they have worked flawlessly. I took apart a working project with sensors from a previous order placed them in the current project and everything stared to work again see Working sensor.png. I have included the basic script see Script to test sensors.png.I am testing on a Particle Photon see picture 3. I would like the 10 packs of sensors replaced.

Thanks.

Code: Select all

/code]
Attachments
Working sensor.png
Working sensor.png (146.9 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
Script to test sensors.png
Script to test sensors.png (121.31 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
Defective sensors.png
Defective sensors.png (65.53 KiB) Viewed 3703 times

Franklin97355

Re: IR Break Beam Sensor - 3mm LEDs

Post by Franklin97355 »

We have a 30 day warranty on all of our products but you are outside that. I will forward this to supply and they will check the stock to see if there is a problem.

autolib

Post by autolib »

I realize I am out of the 30 day period but a lot of times you buy supplies and then use them at a later time. It is simply a bad lot of sensors.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

there really isnt that much going on in there, can you verify that the IR LED is lit? do you have an external pullup on the sensor?

autolib

Post by autolib »

I tested all 10 pairs, either a 1 or 0 trying to keep it as simple as possible to test. It's random when the IR LED is lit it works then a few microseconds later it doesn't. These were all bought at the same time and I assume on your end the same lot. As I have repeatedly said I took older sensors (the same exact product purchased from you at another time) and they work perfectly in the test scenario and the project.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

do you have an oscilloscope? would be interested to see the waveform, i wonder if its fluctuating at ~2.5V

autolib

Post by autolib »

No I don't.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

i'm hestitant to replace them, if all of them dont work for you, replacing them wont make any difference. you can email support@adafruit for a refund but i don't recommend buying more - they probably wont be any different.

autolib

Post by autolib »

I have 8 pairs currently working in some cases for over a year now. All I ask is that you replace the defective ones so I can move on. As I have said they must be from a defective lot. Replacing them will make a difference because they do work as long as they are not defective. It is not fair that I have to eat the cost of the 10 pairs and go order new ones!

autolib

Post by autolib »

So that is it! You say no and I eat the cost!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can email support@adafruit for a refund - but replacing them with ones that are guaranteed to work in your setup is not possible

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Test Message Forum (closed)”