circuit playground developer edition item #3000 DOA!!

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
posfolife2

circuit playground developer edition item #3000 DOA!!

Post by posfolife2 »

Just received and opened item #3000 toay and it refuses to take even the example demo & analog read sketches!!! Shows up properly in Windows (latest drivers), Just hangs on the upload page... Seems like a bad USB/serial link or bootloader problem.... Would like a replacement as soon as possible!! Order # 1099453

Franklin97355

Re: circuit playground developer edition item #3000 DOA!!

Post by Franklin97355 »

Are you using a USB2.0 port? Can you set your preferences to verbose compile and upload and post the results? Are you connecting anything other than the USB cable?

posfolife2

Post by posfolife2 »

Tried multiple pc's with freshly installed drivers.. It's detected properly!! Various USB 2 & 3 ports.. It's a hardware/bootloader failure... I don't get an error code.. It simply freezes up indefinitely!! (I let it sit for 20+ mins) a cuple times.. Red LED blinks 2x on the initial sync to write but the write (fast blink) never happens... In far from a noob with arduino.. It's 100% hardware fail!! It's gunna need replaced... I have 3 here in front of me... Only 1 is defective!!!

posfolife2

Post by posfolife2 »

cplogfail.txt
Log
(34.59 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

What does the red LED do if you press the reset button? It should 'pulse'.

If not, please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

posfolife2

Post by posfolife2 »

Blinks 2-3x then nothing... It's more than likely a bootloader issue like I said before.. You guys don't supply the bootloader in your board/hardware file either.. Plz exchange my item & plz quit making me debug your product (I don't get much free time anymore & would rather not waste it!) Ive been working with electronics for 15+ years & microcontroller's for 8+ years..

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

try double-clicking the reset button to start the bootloader
If not, please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement, like we said in the post above

please note this is the developer edition. There might be minor hardware or software bugs. Once we feel like the design is really solid we'll revise/re-release it into a universal edition for anyone to use! if this isn't for you, please request a refund, not a replacement.

dschmidle

Post by dschmidle »

My Circuit Playground is experiencing exactly the same problem as this customer is explaining. I have spent well over 10 hours the past 2 days trying to get it to work. I've tried it on several different PC's. Followed the directions for install as close as possible. I tried double clicking the reset button to reboot it. It flashes, but that is all I get. When I try to upload the demo through Arduino the LED flashes a few times, the green bar upload bar on the IDE goes away, but the word "upload" remains for an extended period of time. The thing just seems like it is frozen or locked.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, please post a screenshot of the device manager COM ports
make sure you are using a proper sync cable, not a charge cable
if you post a video of what its doing, thats helpful to

please note this is a developer edition, for use by people with arduino experience

Dave_P

Post by Dave_P »

Hi,

My board arrived yesterday. At first I thought it was doa because I only got the cycling lights and no interaction with windows (no chime when plugging in). This turned out to be a problem with the cable. After I switched cables (avoid using ones that come with usb battery packs) things worked as advertised. I am running arduino 1.6.9. There are 4 main steps after arduino install: Install drivers, add board managers url, configure board and com port (it takes about 5 minutes for this to work after plugin), download and install libraries (this puts the example code in). Then restart the arduino ide. This looks like a wicked fun board. Thanks.

dschmidle

Post by dschmidle »

Thanks Dave! I'll have to try the different cord trick. I've done everything else. I left the device at work until Monday. I'm sure hope I get it going. I'm a teacher and I'm hoping to do a course in coding and I was thinking this was a good entry level device for physical computing. I'll let you all know how a new cord works on Monday.

joeschmoe2000

Post by joeschmoe2000 »

I had the same problem as @dschmidle.
At first I had a lot of trouble trying to get the drivers installed properly. Got that done on Windows machine and also on my MacBook Air. Then, I could updated the AVR Board list. Done. For a little bit, I could upload the demo and the VU examples. then, the board died. It would not upload any more. I got avr error on butterfly could not be found.

I hit the reboot button twice. I reinstalled arduino 1.6.9. i tried three new USB micro cables. bummed.

Finally, I got a trick that worked once, I started an upload (command + U) and as it finished compiling, but a second before uploading, I hit the reboot button on the board and it worked. The upload went through. I was able to upload the VU Meter example code. happy now. but leary that i can find some stability in the process.

dschmidle

Post by dschmidle »

JoeSchmoe! You are a genius! That worked for me too. Thank you...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”