Which Firmware for x0xi0?

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
flextone

Which Firmware for x0xi0?

Post by flextone »

Hi guys,

I got a second hand x0xi0 yesterday after looking for one for years now, feel extremely lucky indeed. I prefer it over the new Avalon for several reasons but that's besides the point.

Anyway, I never owned a x0xb0x and all the different firmwares available confuse me. What firmware are you running on your x0xi0 and why? What should I be looking at? The marOS looks interesting.

Thanks.

rv0

Re: Which Firmware for x0xi0?

Post by rv0 »

It all comes down to personal preference.
Many of firmware info on this forum already.
If you want the 303 style programming, n0nx0x2 is the way to go, although it requires a cpu upgrade and new frontplate or overlay. Check my post here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11539&p=472531#p472531

flextone

Post by flextone »

Thanks.

I saw the nonx0x firware but I'll have to pass as I don't feel like messing around inside the x0xi0 to install the new "large" processor. Tried flashing the MarOS firmware but I can't make it work on osx with BANNED. At least not on my laptop, I'll give it a go on an iMac.

Drivers installed, x0xi0 in bootloader mode, but no communication...

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Did you configure the settings in BANNED? thats mandatory.

Also, installing a x0xlarge in a x0x is a piece of cake, remove back, pull out old cpu, insert new cpu. Only issue is some x0xio (custom mainboard pcb) have a different cpu orientation, which needs an additional adapter board.

flextone

Post by flextone »

darffader wrote:Did you configure the settings in BANNED? thats mandatory.

Also, installing a x0xlarge in a x0x is a piece of cake, remove back, pull out old cpu, insert new cpu. Only issue is some x0xio (custom mainboard pcb) have a different cpu orientation, which needs an additional adapter board.
Yes/ I went to the preferences page and chose the correct driver, but what was strange is that I had two to choose from: one entitled Nokia something (my old phone) and one PDA something, strange. One didn't work but the other seemed to connect. But when I tried stuff like editing patterns it didn't work, and trying to load a firmware gave me an error.

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Port should look like /dev/tty.usbserial -00002014 or something similar. If you dont see such a port either your driver is broken or the usb connection/chip is.

Edit: btw, with a x0xlarge you can skip this usb serial stuff and just use midi to upgrade.

flextone

Post by flextone »

darffader wrote:Port should look like /dev/tty.usbserial -00002014 or something similar. If you dont see such a port either your driver is broken or the usb connection/chip is.

Edit: btw, with a x0xlarge you can skip this usb serial stuff and just use midi to upgrade.
Thanks. How can I verify that the driver is installed? The readme file says I can see it in "about this mac" as a virtual serial port but it's not there. I also tried on another 10.5.8 iMac and didn't see it. BANNED wouldn't even open on that one, crashed on startup.

My specific x0xi0 was supposed to be built by BC himself, how could he screw up the USB port like that? On the other hand, I do have trouble with two LED's... hmm. I still think and hope it's the driver.

What would be the correct way to verify it is installed?

Thank you so much for helping btw :)

R

rv0

Post by rv0 »

flextone wrote: Thanks. How can I verify that the driver is installed? The readme file says I can see it in "about this mac" as a virtual serial port but it's not there. I also tried on another 10.5.8 iMac and didn't see it. BANNED wouldn't even open on that one, crashed on startup.

My specific x0xi0 was supposed to be built by BC himself, how could he screw up the USB port like that? On the other hand, I do have trouble with two LED's... hmm. I still think and hope it's the driver.

What would be the correct way to verify it is installed?

Thank you so much for helping btw :)

R
If you downloaded the driver from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm it should just work.
Check the usb devices in "about this mac", the x0x should show up as an usb to serial converter under usb devices.

flextone

Post by flextone »

I can't get it to work. Driver installed and re-installed, tried two usb cables, nothing. What's my next move? Any other way I can test the x0xi0's USB port?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

flextone wrote:I can't get it to work. Driver installed and re-installed, tried two usb cables, nothing. What's my next move? Any other way I can test the x0xi0's USB port?
another way to see the serial devices on osx is through commandline (terminal)

Code: Select all

ls /dev/tty.*
If it doesnt list there, try the same on another computer.

flextone

Post by flextone »

darffader wrote:
flextone wrote:I can't get it to work. Driver installed and re-installed, tried two usb cables, nothing. What's my next move? Any other way I can test the x0xi0's USB port?
another way to see the serial devices on osx is through commandline (terminal)

ls /dev/tty.*
If it doesnt list there, try the same on another computer.
Tried on both computers, nothing. I'm starting to consider buying a pre programmed microprocessor as backup. I can live with the current OS installed (I think 1.9.1). My main concern is not being able to repair it in case the firmware needs re-flashing.

I would open the damn thing and have a look, but I need a really tiny hex key which I don't have at the moment. If it's something as simple as re soldering the connector that's something I can manage. Do I need to take off all the screws around the jacks before opening the back panel?

antto

Post by antto »

there were some unix-y commands to get more information about plugged-in USB devices (like, what kind of device it is, manufacturer name, model name, etc)
i'll try to find it
if you happen to know it - check if when you plug the x0xb0x to the USB it is seen by the OS as "FTDI" or so
if not - then the actual usb chip may be not working properly or something

antto

Post by antto »

on linux it seems you can:

lsusb
which in my case lists root hubs, mice, keyboards and the x0xb0x:
Bus 006 Device 002: Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 Serial (UART) IC
that's the "FTDI" chip (note that other devices may also use this same kind of chip (FT232) for usb connection, so if you have one plugged in - it would appear the same way)

if you can see this when the x0xb0x is plugged in, and if it disappears when you plug it out - then the FTDI chip is probably working fine
if it doesn't appear - the FT232 may be broken or not quite working

rasseru

Post by rasseru »

Ive got one built by BC.

Mine was a real b***ch to get to flash. I remember having to try loads of different USB leads and sockets to get it to work. Hang in there & have patience.

I dont know mac so unsure about all this command line biz but let me just say it took me a few days and then it worked. cranky to say the least..

I like marOS & sokkos. marOS you cant use midi input & I actually want that right now so im tempted to flash it to sokkos but sod that, its working ok atm. (it really was that much of a PITA)

Great box tho! I love mine so much. Prepare for super amazing cross mod funky sharp spunky notes. Its great

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”