MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
manneokoko

Re: MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Post by manneokoko »

After using MarOS 1.5 for some time now, I can confirm that midi sync in and out works great. Even when it is slaved to external midiclock, it sends out correct midi sync on thru and out port.
One more thing that I see is working much better in new version is changing mode betwen edit and play modes. In 1.4 someimes the sequencer stopped when changing mode. That doesn't seem to happen anymore :)

Although I found one problem concerning the midi sync:

It would be an improvement if the box respond to midi continue message in the same way as it responds to midi start message: always start from beginning of pattern.
In MarOs 1.5, when midi start message is recieved x0xbox start from beginning of pattern (good), but when midi continue message is recieved it start from the middle of of the pattern where it was last stopped (not good). This means the x0xb0x will always be out of phase when started with midi continue message.

DAWs and HD recorder always send continue message when started from from somewhere in the song. It would be better for everybody who is using x0xbox synced to a master linear sequencer (DAW) if the x0xb0x always start from beginning, also when midi continue mesage is received.

Most other "grooveboxes" always start from beginning of pattern, on both start and continue midi message.

I have 2 suggestions for fixing this:

Suggestion 1:
X0xb0x always reset phase of pattern when stop, start & continue midi-message is received.

Or..

Suggestion 2:
Make a setting in user mode C - the settings page, where it is possible to chose if continue message starts pattern from beginning or not.

Big thanks for doing a great job on the OS, this really is fantastic. You have taken the box to another level.
Last edited by manneokoko on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

antto

Post by antto »

just for your information: the "MIDI THRU" port is a copy of the "MIDI IN" port, in other words, the data there doesn't come from the firmware itself
your x0xb0x only generates MIDI on the "MIDI OUT" port

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

wow awesome.

kind of forgot about this for a while but found an old email notification randomly, and thought id check.

new version woo!

Is the accent midi out fixed?

i will try and try it soon!

many thanks all involved!

cheers

manneokoko

Post by manneokoko »

Bug report:
Classic midi sync mode - it changes patterns and starts pattern when receiving midi note on, also in classic mode. It would be better if it ignore midi notes and just, start and stop by midi start stop command (and continue command).

Acidden

Post by Acidden »

Been a long time x0xb0x owner, used Sokkos firmware till couple days ago tried Maros. Pretty cool firmware. Noticed one bug, when using the MIDI PLAY mode, after the first initial note, all the rest of the notes get stuck with slide activated. Not sure whether it is in the code or some interaction going wrong between my mpc1000 and the x0x, but seems like it interprets all notes as slides, making it unusable..

EDIT: I did some more playing around. So if I connect my keyboard directly into the x0xb0x, it works just as intended. But the mpc seems to be having the problem. Will have to look into why this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R7vzU ... e=youtu.be

EDIT: So I did some checking. The midi notes from the mpc1000 are coming in just fine. It is sending both note on and off properly. So I'm not really sure why the latest version ain't working properly. I'm no expert with the code so I can't really help out.

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Hi Mario,

I love your OS! It really puts the x0xb0x to a new level!
Can you please post the sourcecode, so that it cannot get lost
and we can make our own small personal adjustments!

Thanks!

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Hi, i have found a problem in the Randomizer, but perhaps I'm doing somethin wrong:
I do everything as it's stated in the MarOS 1.5 Doku:

"The randomizer and macro functions are available in pattern edit mode only. To use it, the box must
be playing! Press the CHAIN button to enter the randomizer mode. Then press any of the 13 notes
buttons or the accent, slide, rest, down, up, prev or next button.
Leave the mode by pressing CHAIN again. The chain-LED is lid as long you`re in that mode."

Everything works fine, but after exiting the Randomizer with another "CHAIN"-button-press,
I am not able to store the newly created pattern by pressing "DONE" twice.

The randomized pattern is not stored to the x0xb0x! If I start it again it's playing the old pattern before using the Randomizer!

Is there a "trick" to save a randomized pattern with a special command???

Thanks!

manneokoko

Post by manneokoko »

Hello roxxx303.

If I remember correctly (I rarely save patterns) Mario has changed it so now you save patterns by Keep holding down DONE and then press desired key for save location.

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

manneokoko wrote:Hello roxxx303.

If I remember correctly (I rarely save patterns) Mario has changed it so now you save patterns by Keep holding down DONE and then press desired key for save location.
Hey manneokoko: You are my hero!
I checked this out and you are right!
Thank you soooo much!
I was really sad to not be able to safe the cool patterns I created with the randomizer function of MarOs 1.5!

And a big thank you to Mario for your funky OS!
(Please make your source code open source!)

happy knob-twisting!

-roxxx303

mario1089

Post by mario1089 »

I've attached source code in the initial post at the start of the thread.

Thank you for the bug reports. Not sure whether I'll find the time too soon to fix them, I'll possibly gonna have a quick look on WE to see if I find anything obvious.

Have fun!

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Thank you Mario for the Sources!

Yesterday I used the midi-out shuffle-functionality to control my TR-505.
Really cool feature! Now my 505 shuffles like a TR-707!
:-)

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Hi Mario,

sorry, but I think I found a problem with din-sync in MarOs 1.5:

On the midi-out port of the x0xb0x I hooked up a TR-505.
On the din-sync-out port of the x0xb0x I hooked up a TR-606.

Now when I start the x0xb0x-sequencer (play) in normal mode both machines start to play.
The TR-505 is in perfect sync and I can adjust the tempo of the x0xb0x and the 505 follows!

The TR-606 also starts, when I start the x0xb0x-sequencer (play),
but it looks like the 606-pattern (a 16-step 4/4 pattern) starts at every 16th not again and again!
So it only plays the first step again and again for all 16 beats of the bar!
Like that it's unusable!

To confirm this error I installed sokkos 1.9 and there the 606 plays the whole pattern,
not only the first step!
So there must be something broken with the din-sync code in MarOs 1.5!

Can you please fix this?
Thank you Mario!

manneokoko

Post by manneokoko »

Bug report:

When I set the machine to "classic midi sync mode", its all OK as usual. But then after some time it has automatically turned off "classic mode", and therefore the machine does not start when receiving a start command. So once in a while I have to go in and change settings and again turn on classic mode.

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Mario? Please help!

human fly

Post by human fly »

(oh dear, has he gone?)

personally, i could do without randomizing if it could
have tap and separate time and pitch modes without
having to change the cpu.

have not tried this yet, i've been getting used to sokkos2,
- getting good results and workflow inputting on the fly,
but it isn't the same as having a stack of pitches popped
off against the number of notes played.

what i'd really like is to be able to go back and forth
between Write and Play without stopping. sokkos2 lets
you go from Play to Write, but not from Write to Play.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”