Hacking the Ardent Nova/Lift Decarboxylator
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Hacking the Ardent Nova/Lift Decarboxylator

by blackie on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:19 pm

The Ardent Nova/Lift Decarboxylator is basically a 120v heating device for decarboxylating THC-A.

What is decarboxylation?
Decarboxylation is simply “a chemical reaction that removes a carboxyl group and releases carbon dioxide (CO2)”. When it comes to THC-A, decarboxylation effectively removes the COOH group from the THC-A molecule by releasing H2O (water) an CO2 (carbon dioxide), turning it into the psychoactive THC.

The Ardent Nova/Lift takes about 20 mins to heat up to 118C, then stayed around 115C(between 113C and 118C) for 1 hour, then a 15-20 minute cool down before the green LED lights up.

There are no settings. That temperature/time will work for THC-A, but CBD-A requires a higher temp, and or longer time to fully decarboxylate. So I would like to see if I can modify it with a different micro controller. Maybe a feather HUZZAH.

There is a UART exposed. I think the PCB is glued down, so I can't flip it over...yet. I ordered some pogo pins, but I have never used them before. Not sure what I will see when I connect to the UART.

The microcontroller is a msp430g2553.

This is the 120V power. The red wires are to the heating element. The two black connectors on the outside are the mains power connections. There is a BT136S-600 that connects to a 301912. I am hoping I can connect a new micro controller to the 301919 to control the heating element.

Temperature measurement is done with two RTDs and opa4330s. I don't know if I will be able to use the stuff on the PCB, so I ordered a couple Adafruit PT100 RTD Temperature Sensor Amplifier - MAX31865.

I have modified the sous vide code to work with a thermocouple and a toaster oven. That works well for decarboxylating. I think slightly modified code should work for this. But I have never worked with RTDs before.

blackie

Re: Hacking the Ardent Nova/Lift Decarboxylator

by rfengr on Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Did you ever get this to work?
If so, why modify the code or add a controller? That seems like a lot of work.
Would it be easier to just change the sensor input (switch in a resistor/divider or equivalent that either divides the signal or changes gain on the op amp) to fake the sensors into telling the code to get to the desired temperature? A couple resistors and a switch, and you can select between THCA or CBDA decarb.

rfengr

by blackie on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:09 pm

rfengr wrote:Did you ever get this to work?
If so, why modify the code or add a controller? That seems like a lot of work.

Sorry for the late reply.

I left the unit as is. I ran some HPLC tests and decarboxylating happened for both THCA and CBDA at the current time/temps the unit uses.

I bought a similar heating element, and figured I should just recreate the entire thing instead of hacking the Ardent unit.
https://www.omega.com/pptst/SRMU_HEATER.html

One reason I wanted a modified unit is so it will have a network connection, so I can get notifications when a cycle is done.

blackie

by theaog on Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:59 am

@blackie and destructions how to make one of these please thanks

theaog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.