MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Discuss mods, hacks, tweaks, etc.

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
human fly

Re: MarOS1.5.0 - Beta Version

Post by human fly »

what about a physical mod, adding a Tap button?
could that be a useful extra for an OS?
(not offtopic, if this is most recent OS?)

edit: soz it seems this OS is more about randomizing.
i would really like something closer to original
programming because that produces semi-random
stuff anyway, in a very productive way. random slides,
for example, i don't find very useful.
so even if it were more simplified...time to pop over to
anttos nonx0x thread...

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

JuanTT wrote:There is a problem with the auto increment for step mode, it doesn't work while the pattern is running
And I miss so hard the Program Change to switch pattern and do it compatible with my Analog Rytm - please ;)
+ auto increment for step mode while the pattern is running
I'll check if there is a reason for, and if not, if it is possible to squeeze it in.

+ midi program change to switch pattern
this might get a program size problem, as there are very few bytes left.
roxxx303 wrote:On the din-sync-out port of the x0xb0x I hooked up a TR-606.
but it looks like the 606-pattern (a 16-step 4/4 pattern) starts at every 16th not again and again!
+ din sync out to a 606 does not work
bug confirmed, already fixed in version 1.5.1.
(Note: a work around to fix this would be to disable pins 4&5 on the x0x din output.)

manneokoko wrote:Bug report:
Classic midi sync mode - it changes patterns and starts pattern when receiving midi note on, also in classic mode. It would be better if it ignore midi notes and just, start and stop by midi start stop command (and continue command).
+ in classic sync mode, notes should not start the sequencer
bug confirmed, will be fixed.
manneokoko wrote: but when midi continue message is recieved it start from the middle of of the pattern where it was last stopped (not good). This means the x0xb0x will always be out of phase when started with midi continue message.
+ midi continue should play from step 0
the current behavior is as it was in sokkos, but it is obviously not very useful.
I'll add a flag in the user c settings, than "continue" works like start. I consider that a 'work around'.

Because that is not what it should work like: The proper way would be to evaluate the song position pointer and do a start at the right step.
It is not much code, but there is very few space left ...

===========================

+ Tap tempo
will see if I can squeeze it somewhere in.
In tempo knob parameter edit mode there are some "unused" buttons, so I could use the "DONE" switch there.

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Regarding
+ auto increment for step mode while the pattern is running.

That looks like it was intentional switched off. I'll make that a compile-option, so it could be switched easily.
I rearranged the logic a little and could even save a few bytes.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

awesome

i really appreciate the work going into this mario and nordcore!

Ive not had a chance to try but while this topic is active, do you know if the midi out accent was fixed? its not mentioned in the notes.

to confirm, on the last version of marios, midi out would send 'no accent' velocity (100?) for all notes, instead of accented ones being 127. i use the x0x as a sequencer for the o.akley tm3030 and it means no accents :(. the sokkos versions all work as expected.

many thanks

ben

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

I'll check that tonight (... I'm on UTC+2 ... ), when I'm back home.

And sorry, that your bug report did not make it in the list above, I remember that I had read it - but missed it, when collecting the list.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

I (we) owe you a beer!

Many thanks, much appreciated. and theres no rush at all.

cheers
Ben

ioth

Post by ioth »

Hey Mario and all contributors,

first of all huge props to you, your os is plainly awesome.
However, there's one thing, I haven't wrapped my head around, and that is how to change the end step of a pattern.
Strangely, it works, when I'm in play mode holding done and selecting start and end (like in sokkos, but the end step isn't saved to the pattern), but that doesn't show up in your documentation.
But in edit mode, you wrote hold accent, rest and slide, but you didn't state what to do next.
I fiddled around for a bit, but wasn't able to make it work. Also, how can you select e.g. end step 15, if you have to hold accent aswell?

Thanks in advance,

ioth

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Just checked with MidiOx, Version 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 (and my current build) send proper velocity here.
Tidied up the note_on() code anyway .. saved some bytes (total 116 today, may be 70 on that...)

ioth, what you describe is pretty close to how it is intended to work:

In play mode you can "set a loop". This is not stored, neither start nor end, it is just performance (as everything in play should be).
Setting this loop: press and hold DONE, than first press one of the "loop keys" for start, second press another "loop key" for end, release DONE.
loop keys: C=1,C#=2 ...C'=13, REST=14, ACCENT=15, SLIDE=16
If you go during run from play to edit, the loop is kept (which could be considered a bug..), but if you store the pattern neither start nor end are stored (which is as intended).

If you are in Edit mode pressing REST+ACCENT+SLIDE at the same time(=all together) will mark the current step as "end" (think of a brick-note set), so the step before is the last of the pattern. The note which was on this place is lost. (That is why this three keys at the same time does work: as the brick has no such properties, it is "don't care how ACCENT and SLIDE came out. )

If you want to get rid of this "brick" (which ends the pattern), you have to move the "edit step" with the NEXT button, so the "brick" is lit. Than you can enter a note/rest there. (... and the brick is moved one position right)
This is stored.

Another thing is the "triplet" mode, which is selected(toggled) by pressing the tempo knob in Edit. This sets step 13 as "brick" step, so you have 4 bars with 3 notes each. (As default, could be moved. But in triplet mode only 15 steps are available. )

I'm not aware that there was any more functionality in sokkos.

Have I missed something?

ioth

Post by ioth »

wow that was a quick reply! Thanks, I got it.

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

Did you expect any more functionality or is something useful missing?

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Nordcore wrote:Just checked with MidiOx, Version 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 (and my current build) send proper velocity here.
Tidied up the note_on() code anyway .. saved some bytes (total 116 today, may be 70 on that...)
thats awesome, many thanks. will install it asap!

just for clarity (in case i need to change the tm3030) what are the two velocitys for accent on and off?

much appreciated.

ben

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

100 and 127 (0x64 and 0x7f)
(... personally I don't like these values, but AFAIK all x0x firmware has them... )

ioth

Post by ioth »

One thing I noticed when jamming, is that in play mode I can't transpose patterns down (the sokkos way). it's working when transposing up, but when I press the down key, it still only lights the up led and transposes it up.
Apart from that, im still amazed by all the functionality.

Nordcore

Post by Nordcore »

@ioth: Bug confirmed, got one closing bracket wrong, so I got a whopping 70 byte save instead of 4. Unfortunately the 66 extra bytes where the ones for transposing down, called nevermore, so the clever compiler throws them out.
Thanks for reporting!

So here is another Bugfix release for testing.
Please let me know if you run into any issues.
  • Din sync out to a 606 (...) does now work
    Optional pins 4 and 5 got strange (test/debug) signals. If you connected a unit which uses them, it had not worked, a lot of units don't use them, than there was no problem.
  • Midi continue can optionally play from step 1, not from where the sequencer has been paused.
    Added user C setting D#, Key 6=A: On = Midi continue behaves like MIDI start. (Note: don't try this on version 1.5.1 w/o the -r1 )
  • Auto increment for step mode also works while the sequencer is running.
    Before the auto increment was only active when stopped. It looks like that was intentional - let me know what you think is better.
  • In 'classic sync mode' (User C, D#, 1=C:ON), notes should do not start the sequencer any more.
    The sequencer is now only started and stopped by MIDI start, continue and stopp commands, when "classic sync" is on.
  • Transposing down in play mode works again
    in 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 "down" key does the same as "up" key.
What is still missing:
+ Tap tempo
+ Patch change on MIDI program change.
+ MIDI continue sets proper position from MIDI song position pointer (spp)
(... so you could move your SPP in your DAW anywhere in the middle of a bar and the x0xbox will chime in "in sync". Most of the time, the x0x cpu can at best guess, what pattern to use (just the current one or "chain length modulo spp" <--where you would end up if you let it run from start to the current spp w/o any manual operation. )

Edit: File removed, see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33914&start=300#p587321 for latest version.
Last edited by Nordcore on Sun May 21, 2017 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

skulled

Post by skulled »

Is anyone experiencing issues with the MIDI PLAY mode?

The first note will play, but after that, it sort of seems off.

It sounds as though MIDI Note Off isn't coming through, since there's a slight portamento into the next note if it's played fast enough before the first note's Decay cycle ends.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xm0dz”