RE: Adding or Updating the Adafruit_BBIO.* as *

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
silver2row

RE: Adding or Updating the Adafruit_BBIO.* as *

Post by silver2row »

Hello,

I was wondering if the character device idea (notice) was getting in the way of Adafruit_BBIO at all. Is it? I am asking b/c the 4.19.x kernel from Linux on the BBB family of boards is not accepting of the Adafruit_BBIO library.

Are there any plans on updating the library or moving forward from this point? I am being very objective. It seems every book I ever purchased from the distribution side of ideas circulating around the BBB and that family of boards all had something to do w/ the Adafruit_BBIO library, e.g. 2013 and forward until the 4.19.x kernel.

What changed, if anything?

Seth

P.S. I ask that all these questions be answered b/c I was thinking of moving on to kernel 4.19.x and beyond to learn more of Linux, the device driver sections of Linux, and how this character device instantiation is supposed to work. I really hate leaving the Adafruit_BBIO library behind but I wanted to stay current. I have boards from beagleboard.org that all have your library on it. I just reverted backwards from 4.19.x to 4.14.x b/c I could not figure out how to use pip to install my library from you. Anyway...if this is a future w/out their family of boards, please let me know.

drewfustini

Re: RE: Adding or Updating the Adafruit_BBIO.* as *

Post by drewfustini »

Even though it is marked by the maintainer (Linus W.) as deprecated, the GPIO /sys interface will still be made available in the BeagleBoard.org Debian images and kernel builds by Robert C. Nelson. So you don't need to worry about it going away.

However, the correct thing to do is to move Adafruit_BBIO to libgpiod bindings for GPIO access.

I created this issue for that task:
https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-be ... issues/157

silver2row

Post by silver2row »

Nice!

Seth

silver2row

Post by silver2row »

Hello,

You were right. I just checked the Buster image from his repos.

Seth

P.S. Phew! Now, onto more or less. Adafruit_BBIO!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”