Peristaltic Pump help

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Britexpat

Peristaltic Pump help

Post by Britexpat »

Hi,

I'm a complete nube and need help with considering whether the peristaltic pump will serve my needs. For my project I was considering using two pumps to push water into and out of 4(total) bladders. The idea is that two bladders would be placed under padding on the forehead and chin of a person lying prone on a massage table, while the other two bladders would be under the cheeks. I would alternate filling the cheek and forehead/chin bladders in a pattern to ensure that no one area receive too much pressure during what might be a period of up to 12 hours.

Does this sound like a viable idea?

Thank you.
Ashley

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Peristaltic Pump help

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It could be possible depending on the size of the bladders and the expected load. In my experience, these pumps are capable of producing pressures of about 2 PSI. So, to support a 10 pound head, you would need a total contact area of 5 square inches or more.

Britexpat

Post by Britexpat »

I was thinking of using some flexible sheet rubber to make the bladders, what size do you think they need to be?

adafruit_support_bill

As mentioned above, you will need at least 5 square inches of contact to support 10 pounds. If only 2 will be pressurized at a time, then each one should have at least 2.5 square inches. If possible, larger is better. A bladder with a larger surface would reduce the required working pressure - which would put less stress on the pump - and probably be more comfortable for the person.

Britexpat

Post by Britexpat »

Thank you, this is incredibly helpful.

Britexpat

Post by Britexpat »

Anything else I need to consider?

adafruit_support_bill

You will probably need a microcontroller board and motor driver to control the system. One of the Feather processors with a Motor Wing would be a good choice.

https://www.adafruit.com/category/830
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2927

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”