URGENT - Need help with PCB design to help COVID response

Chat about pick and place machines, reflow ovens, assembly techniques and other SMT tips & trix

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dagriggs

URGENT - Need help with PCB design to help COVID response

Post by dagriggs »

Apologies for the dramatic subject heading, but I'd like to request your help with a very important project that just might save lives.

I've been working since last Fall on a cheap ($100s vs current $10k+ machines) respirator device with some collaborators at Massachusetts General Hospital, and it's a long shot, but we're working hard to drastically accelerate our project to try to make a difference for overloaded BANNED systems as things progress with COVID-19.

In particular I'm very interested to connect with someone who knows PCB design inside and out, to see if we could quickly get from a soldered-together arduino prototype to plug-and-play PCB if possible. I thought of Adafruit since most of our prototype is built with their awesome products, and I expect this community (and definitely Adafruit employees) might have lots of knowledge of companies that can provide assembled PCBs with these kinds of products picked-and-placed on them (Arduino Uno with a 7-segment display, 2 rotary encoders, and a relay and might add stepper/DC motor controller as the prototype gets finished).

I have designed small PCBs for hand soldering assembly, but do not have the expertise to design a PCB quickly for pick-and-place assembly in qtys of 100s, or maybe 1000s if things go well.

Thank you so much for your time. Please feel free to reach out with any questions you have, and any thoughts you have on where I can turn for this expertise is HUGELY appreciated.

PS: I should clarify this is not intended to be a profitable business, but an open source device that can be built in as many low-resource settings as possible. We want as much of the device as possible to simply be plans for how to create it, rather than manufactured goods.

Stay safe friends,
David

dastels

Re: URGENT - Need help with PCB design to help COVID respons

Post by dastels »

Phil was just talking about this on Ask an Engineer last night. Have a look at the video on youtube. He gave an email address to contact for just this purpose. I forget now what it was but it's there.

Dave

dagriggs

Post by dagriggs »

Found it, perfect, THANK YOU!

dastels

Post by dastels »

My pleasure. I wish you all possible success!

Dave

dagriggs

Post by dagriggs »

Ah just noticed in that same video Phil mentions not wanting to get involved in open-source novice projects..... we'll see what comes of it then.

If someone in this talented community is available to help in case Adafruit decides not to respond to my email, please reply!

jps2000

Post by jps2000 »

you may contact me via github/jps2000

nguyensanity

Post by nguyensanity »

If everything goes well with design and testing, you could use https://vinatronic.com/ for prototyping and production quantities. I'm sure the team would give a good pricing for covid related projects.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “SMT (Surface Mount Tech)”