Analog drums with MIDI

Posts about MIDIsense. open source MIDI sensor platform

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stacyh3

Analog drums with MIDI

Post by stacyh3 »

I'm doing some research to see if it's possible to use vibration sensors or some other sensors to turn an analog set of drums into MIDI drums. We want to be able to hear the analog drums normally, but have them simultaneously play another MIDI instrument. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

textile

Re: Analog drums with MIDI

Post by textile »

Yes it will work.
Set a threshold to trigger a midi note , wire it up to another channel for velocity.

I will have these boards available soon within a month. Or you can wire up/cut your own. Nothing beats a nice FR4 board :D

stacyh3

Post by stacyh3 »

Sounds cool. I'll give it a try. This is a project with my teenager. He and I are just getting started, so if you have any details that might help us such as what sensors to use, circuit designs, etc. that would be fantastic! I will also keep an eye out for your board.

We're thinking of just starting with driving some lighting effects from drum hits and getting more complex as we go.

Again, thanks for your advice!
Stacy

textile

Post by textile »

Here :-)
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/anal ... igger.html
I haven't built this but its just the same as mine. The CV out can be used for the velocity,.

To connect this to a MIDIsense you will need to add a (common switch type) NPN transistor . See instructions here
http://adafruit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12708

Enjoy!!

textile

Post by textile »

To use this on a single power supply ( 9v battery) one could change the op amp to a LM324 or other single supply op amp , connect the v- of the opamp psu to GND. If you experience any latch up change the amp to a faster type such as a RC4136 - my choice :-)
( NOTE: the 4136 has different pin outs google the data sheet )

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MIDIsense”