USBTinyISP v2 just stopped working

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dean_ot

USBTinyISP v2 just stopped working

Post by dean_ot »

So this randomly happened to me and I have no idea where to go. I had been flashing some fuse bits to an ATTiny84 (only the lfuse removing the div by 8; -U lfuse:w:0xEA:m) and it worked fine. I was going to set the hfuse to the standard (something I do every time; -U hfuse:w:0xDF:m), but when I went to execute the avrdude cmd, I got the infamous "avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1" issue. Same response when doing "avrdude -c usbtiny -p t84".

Never changed the setup, never had a pin come out.

I was working on my laptop when that happened. I had this happen once before, and reinstalling the ISP driver, WinAVR, and atmel studio (in that order) fixed the issue. Tried it again and no go. Moved to my desktop that had all the same things installed and still get that prompt. I also tried it on an ATMega328p that I know is good (just using avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p) and still no dice.

I've tried "avrdude -v -v -v -c usbtiny -p m328p" and "avrdude -P usb -c usbtiny -p m328p".

I've tried every us port on both computer, each with 3 different USB cables. No idea how to move forward here. Any help is appreciated.

mikeysklar

Re: USBTinyISP v2 just stopped working

Post by mikeysklar »

Any doubt about orientation on the connector when programming these last two chips?

Did the extra '-v' verbose debug args provide any clues?

Are you able to just read the fuses from a fresh chip?

I take you can verify that at least one of the USB cables you are using is a good data cable?

dean_ot

Post by dean_ot »

mikeysklar wrote:Any doubt about orientation on the connector when programming these last two chips?

Did the extra '-v' verbose debug args provide any clues?

Are you able to just read the fuses from a fresh chip?

I take you can verify that at least one of the USB cables you are using is a good data cable?
Not worried about orientation, I've checked quite a bit. For sanity check I have included pictures of my setup. MISO = Green, SCK = Yellow, RST = Blue, GND = Black, MOSI = White, PWR = Red. One US cable is one that I've always used with it, one is a spare I keep in a bag, and the other is my printer cable that hasn't had any issues.
Board View
Board View
IMG_20210528_122330.png (911.91 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
Connector View
Connector View
IMG_20210528_122319.png (799.87 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
I'm not a pro at discerning what avrdude outputs. This is the printout it gives me:
AVRdude output
AVRdude output
Capture.PNG (52.46 KiB) Viewed 3585 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

That large 40 pin DIL processor. That isn't a 328p. I though the largest through hole those come in are a 28-pin DIP. Am I wrong?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”