My FONA will not power up

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
summitsurf

My FONA will not power up

Post by summitsurf »

I have the Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM. I've hooked it up for the Arduino test and cannot get it to power on. When I plug it directly into USB with the battery attached the orange led illuminates. Which I read means it is charging the battery? I charged the battery for a few hours today and it is reading 4V. Is my battery dead or is my FONA?

summitsurf

Re: My FONA will not power up

Post by summitsurf »

summitsurf wrote:I have the Adafruit FONA - Mini Cellular GSM. I've hooked it up for the Arduino test and cannot get it to power on. When I plug it directly into USB with the battery attached the orange led illuminates. Which I read means it is charging the battery? I charged the battery for a few hours today and it is reading 4V. Is my battery dead or is my FONA?

I purchased this board on Aug 26th. My order number is 2643705-9489355488.
Attachments
fona.jpg
fona.jpg (818.89 KiB) Viewed 483 times

rskup

Post by rskup »

Hi summitsurf,

Kinda hard to tell from the pic so maybe I'm dead wrong, but it looks like the power/ground wires for the FONA are plugged into the BlackBoards 3.3V and 5V pinouts? Again, maybe it's just the angle of the pic.

Before wiring the FONA up to the BlackBoard, did you try running it from Windows using PuTTY or X-CTU? Just my opinion but I feel if you're trouble-shooting whether the FONA board is good it's best to run it directly to eliminate any possible problems with the BlackBoard, wiring, or code.

summitsurf

Post by summitsurf »

Ah ya weird angle, sorry. They're pinned to the gnd and 5v pins. I didn't try the usb putty method until after I tried the arduino sample sketch.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”