Merlin with the Macropad (adabox 19)

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Apocalyptos

Merlin with the Macropad (adabox 19)

Post by Apocalyptos »

After using it to run off-the-shelf macros for a while, I decided to have a bit of fun with my Macropad. I decided to recreate the classic Merlin electronic game. I see now that a few others have done similar games like Lights Out.

Merlin has a number of games - you can see the manual here. I programmed in the following:
Mastermind - guess a number that is X digits long
Echo - repeat in a sequence of X length that Merlin plays for you and get scored
Simon - repeat a sequence that Merlin plays for you, adding length until you make a mistake. Not in the original Merlin.
Music Maker - a crude sequencer
Magic Square - try to make a square by pressing buttons that affect the lights around it

I tried to set up a framework that allowed other games to easily be dropped in. I also had to tweak the interface a bit because the Macropad has 12 buttons and the Merlin had 15 - some of which were only used for Blackjack. I haven't programmed Blackjack yet and I probably won't bother with TicTacToe because it's just a bunch of if-then statements so it's boring.

The case was 3D printed, it's the first attempt. I'd like to add a battery and do something with the lower section which looks rather blank - in the original, it had four buttons. I'm trying to think of the best way to manage a battery while still being able to plug in with the USB.

Code can be found here: https://github.com/keithtanner037/merlin

Crude video of how it works (I forgot Mastermind and made a few factual errors!) here: https://youtu.be/l0W8CngnKgk

Last edited by Apocalyptos on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

johnpark

Re: Merlin with the Macropad (adabox 19)

Post by johnpark »

this is SO COOL! I can't wait to check it out. That Merlin case is fantastic.

Apocalyptos

Re: Merlin with the Macropad (adabox 19)

Post by Apocalyptos »

I can do more videos if anyone wants to see something in particular, although I suppose you could just load in the files :)

Keycaps are Dolch from PimpMyKeyboard.

I've uploaded the case to Thingiverse.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “AdaBox! Show us what you made!”