Raspberry USB powered CPX

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
yhellowt

Raspberry USB powered CPX

Post by yhellowt »

I am powering my Circuit Playground Express with a Raspberry Pi. The intention is to control the CPX via HomeKit by powering the USB port on the Raspberry Pi on and off (using NodeRed).

I loaded the MakeCode UF2 to the CPX and it works.

If I connect my CPX to the Raspberry Pi USB port - or turn the power on the USB port - it goes always into bootload-mode (green leds, red led blinking), preventing the MakeCode program to be executed until I hit the reset button.

How can I override that I manually need to hit the reset button, i.e. the MakeCode program starts running when the CPX is powered (and does not go in boatload mode).

johnpark

Re: Raspberry USB powered CPX

Post by johnpark »

Looking into this -- do you get a message on the Raspberry Pi that pops up saying "Removable media is inserted"?

yhellowt

Post by yhellowt »

I am using the command line as the raspberry pi is headless installed. The CPX is mounted. Even if I unmount using the command line the CPx stays in boot load.

johnpark

Post by johnpark »

Ah, OK, I looked a bit further into this and it seems it's a known behavior when microcontrollers running MakeCode are plugged into USB ports that have both data and power. If you power the CPX via USB (or battery) but without the data line, then it doesn't go to bootloader mode.

So, your options may be to add an addressable power solution, such as a transistor controlled from the GPIO of the Raspberry Pi, which in turn powers the CPX, or to do it over USB on your CPX, but running Arduino or CircuitPython so it avoids the MakeCode bootloader issue.

I'm curious what the goal is that involves powering the CPX on and off. Perhaps there's another way to do what you need by sending serial data to the CPX?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”