FONA 3G Module not reading or writing to website

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kiratmokha

Re: FONA 3G Module not reading or writing to website

Post by kiratmokha »

Also, are you able to get the GPS working on your FONA? Because when I try to use their test code to see if it would. give me the location, it just gives me a blank reply with no coordinates.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Currently it's a T-Mobile sim, but I've also used a SpeedTalk sim in it too.

edit - will try the gps, I have a SimCom 7000 board I use for gps tests, never tried the 5320 before, will give it a shot and update

rskup

Post by rskup »

just remembered...if you're using an Active GPS antenna on your FONA you need to solder that "bias" junction...see "pinouts" on tutorial...then scroll down to "antenna ports"

kiratmokha

Post by kiratmokha »

Oo thanks for that tip. I did not have that shorted, I will short it and try the GPS again! Will put an update in this post tonight.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Ok, yep, got the GPS going on the FONA 3G, and got all kinds of numbers and stuff (just like the pic in the tutorial) on the NMEA com port, pretty cool!

Used the command: AT+CGPS=1

And a moment later that NMEA port screen filled with numbers.

By the way, I was using a passive antenna (very similar to Adafruit's #1991), so I didn't need to solder that "Bias" junction.

Then entered: AT+CGPSINFO

At first, got a bunch of blanks like this: +CGPSINFO:,,,,,,,,

But after maybe 20 minutes or so got the GPS coordinates. Probably took that long because I'm using a passive antenna. I read (somewhere) it can take a long time the first time you're using it because it's downloading tables and etc....

Ok, hope your testing goes well!

rskup

Post by rskup »

Here's where I read about the long delay from a cold start running the gps:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/342 ... e/40413187

Look for "ephemeris tables", about in the middle of the page.

kiratmokha

Post by kiratmokha »

Oh perfect! I'll give that a shot. Just a questions, for your HTTPS commands in Putty, how did you input the ctrl-M and ctrl-J. Putty seems to be just showing ^m and ^j whenever I do that and I am not able to get a good request back from the Adafruit website.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Odd, you see ^m and ^j, I don't see that at all when I enter ctrl-m and ctrl-j...just my cursor moves when I do that, but nothing shows up. Weird.

Maybe this is the issue...after you type "GET /testwifi/index.html HTTP/1.1", do not hit enter, go straight to ctrl-m, then ctrl-j.

Same goes for the second line, "Host: wifitest.adafruit.com:80", do not hit enter afterwards, go straight to ctrl-m, ctrl-j, ctrl-m, ctrl-j.

Hope that was it!

kiratmokha

Post by kiratmokha »

Hey thanks for the suggestions, I tried that as well and am still getting the same issue. I think it is a problem with how I have my putty setup when I open the serial communication with the module. Would you be kind enough to share your putty configuration or any link to a tutorial or documentation that you used to configure your putty when you open up the port with the module?

I really think it is the keyboard and terminal configuration where I need to change some options for it to not recognize my ctrl's like that.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Ok, below is the main "serial" screen, didn't use a tutorial for the settings, just set things to match X-CTU settings (that I think were default when I first downloaded it). If it still doesn't work for you, can send pics of other settings.

Maybe this will help too...under Window/Translation...the "Remote character set" is UTF-8.
Attachments
puttyconfig.png
puttyconfig.png (19.6 KiB) Viewed 1014 times

kiratmokha

Post by kiratmokha »

Just sending an update, I figured out what was wrong. I just had to set my terminal local echo and local line editing to auto instead of force on. This worked and I can very happily say that my GPS and HTTPS are both working on the FONA module with a Ting SIM card. The only problem is that with the AT commands I just need to make sure to enter them correctly the first time because backspace doesn't work.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Cool, glad it's working!

Backspace...in my PuTTY's config window, Terminal/Keyboard, first line is "The Backspace key", mine is set to "Control-H", and my backspace key does work.

Also, to be able to (copy and) paste commands into PuTTY, try either ctrl+shift+V or click the right mouse button. I use the right mouse button, pasting commands from a notepad doc into the PuTTY window, super easy. See PuTTY's Window/Selection page for other options on copy and paste, there's several.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”