Adafruit FONA 3G not getting GPS coordinates

Adafruit cellular platform - SMS and IoT over celluar

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kiratmokha

Adafruit FONA 3G not getting GPS coordinates

Post by kiratmokha »

I am trying to use the Adafruit FONA 3G module for a GPS tracking project and it is just simply not getting gps coordinates. I have tried multiple different configurations and testing locations but nothing seems to work. I am using an active antenna with a gain of 32dB and have soldered the bias. I am getting bunch of satellites but not even signal strength to acquire a fix. I have attached screenshots from my testing in the post and also below is the link to the antenna that I am using.

Antenna - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078Y ... UTF8&psc=1
Attachments
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (101.05 KiB) Viewed 1037 times

rpiloverbd

Re: Adafruit FONA 3G not getting GPS coordinates

Post by rpiloverbd »

Hi, are you using the module indoors or outdoor? Once I used a SIM808 based arduino shield with waveshare electronics. I got no GPS data inside my office room. Then I put the setup outside through a window. I received GPS coordinates without any problem then. Also it is possible to face problems if the antenna is faulty. I am just sharing my personal experience. Let's see what team adafruit says regarding this matter.

rskup

Post by rskup »

I know it's a longshot but I happened to find a small doc (12 pages) by SimCom just on the 5320 GPS operation, maybe it might help:

https://simcom.ee/documents/SIM5320/sim ... _v1.00.pdf

Also, and I know it's another longshot, post a pic of the board and current wiring.

rskup

Post by rskup »

Me again, longshot #3, do you have the LiPo plugged in? Looking at the schematic (upper right corner) note the GPSBIAS goes to VBAT:

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1440185454

Looks like if the LiPo isn't plugged in, your active antenna is only getting whatever current the LiPo Charger (bottom left corner) can supply to VBAT...maybe that's not enough for the antenna??

kiratmokha

Post by kiratmokha »

Hello, thank you for the suggestions. I have everything correctly plugged in but it is a problem with the module. I got the botletics SIM7000 board and used the same antenna with it along with the same circuitry, I acquired a fix within 5 seconds, inside the apartment. To me it seems like adafruits circuitry is not providing enough voltage for active antennas because I have tried this with both FONA 3G modules I have. They are also not responding to any of my forum problems at all. I think I am going to contact their support and request a refund, I am so frustrated with the problem I am facing with this module.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “FONA”