Defective battery terminal on Mastech SMD tweezers

Hand tools, soldering irons, scopes, multimeters. Talk about em HERE!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wam

Defective battery terminal on Mastech SMD tweezers

Post by wam »

I recently purchased some Mastech SMD component testing tweezers (1359) and the battery doesn't seem to make contact with the positive terminal on the side. I think the terminal is getting pressed out of the way when the battery is inserted and secured with the backplate. The negative prongs in the middle are extremely stiff, so the battery is really only seated by the pressure of the backplate. That doesn't seem to be making a sturdy connection. I can get the device to power on intermittently when I'm trying to seat the battery with my thumb, but that's it.

It's hard to get a good photo showing how the terminal is too low to make contact with the edge of the battery, but this is my best attempt.

I had to purchase a CR2032 battery since the package didn't include a battery.

I hope you can help me out! Thanks!
tweezers.jpg
tweezers.jpg (210.35 KiB) Viewed 289 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Defective battery terminal on Mastech SMD tweezers

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, I can see the misalignment. It looks like the clips got pressed down by a battery laid on top of them rather than being laid in to engage them from the side.

Let's see if they're fixable before making you sit through another shipping delay: grab each tab with a set of tweezers and see if you can lift/twist them back up to parallel with the bottom of the pocket. The good news is that, since I'm telling you to do it, anything that happens is officially my fault. ;-)

wam

Post by wam »

Thanks! I'll do that.

(I had a whole paragraph that I deleted, swearing that I didn't just jam the battery in. Promise. The negative terminals are so springy that it can't stay seated when sliding it in from the side. We'll see what some bending does...)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

wam wrote:(I had a whole paragraph that I deleted, swearing that I didn't just jam the battery in. Promise.
No worries there.. it could have been someone at the factory moving a little too fast. There's no way to trace the origin of the problem by now, and pragmatically it doesn't matter much. You have a device that doesn't work.

If you can tweak the tabs back into position, you'll have a working device. That's the main concern right now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Tools Tools Tools”