2v support

USB AVR Programmer and SPI interface. Adafruit's USBtinyISP.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DCInnovation

2v support

Post by DCInnovation »

Hello,

I purchased a USBtinyISP to program a board where Vcc is 1.8v. After pounding my head against a wall for a while a stripped the parts off that couldn't go above 1.8v and left the microcontroller. I noticed that It wouldn't program below 2.6v and finally visited the HELP! section of the webpage and saw that it won't work below 2.5v.

Why is it advertised to program boards below 2.5v if it can't? or am I missing something?

Sincerely,
-Confused

Franklin97355

Re: 2v support

Post by Franklin97355 »

What are you trying to program and where did you find the info about the voltage below which it would not program?

DCInnovation

Post by DCInnovation »

In the help section. I am planning to simply add either a level shifter to the device or lower the 5v rail to 3.3v

DCInnovation

Post by DCInnovation »

Not sure if it will run on 3.3v though because of the 12mhz clock speed

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

According to the documents
"Version 2.0 which is almost certainly what you've got, uses a level shifter so that if the jumper is not in place, it will use whatever the target voltage is, a lot better for your low-voltage devices!

So, if you have a device that needs to run at 3.3V, don't have the jumper in place!"
So you power the USBTinyISP with 5 volts but not the chip. Is that what you are doing?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its been a very long time but we dont know we've programmed 2V boards with the usbtinyisp, where does it say it does?

DCInnovation

Post by DCInnovation »

Looks like it can based on the datasheet! Hopefully this works and helps others

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok the chip's datasheet isnt the same as the product datasheet or specifications. e.g. if a tire is rated to 250mph that doesnt mean the car can go 250 mph.

DCInnovation

Post by DCInnovation »

Okay hopefully this helps someone out there. I was able program a 1.8v target by cutting the trace that connects the system to 5v, and soldering wires to a 3.3v source. when the microcontroller is powered by 5v the minimum voltage on a pin is 2.5 to get a logic high. That is why the help section says to use a 2.5v minimum target ("capture2.png" attachment).
Capture2.png
Capture2.png (66.14 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
Once I got the 3.3v power to the microcontroller it registers 1.8v as a logic high.

The product page makes it sound like 2v is supported out of the box. Perhaps this is due to batch variations.

Let me know if you need more info!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

where does it say 2V is supported? we'll update the text

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “USBtinyISP”