Metro Mini 328 No COM Port

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dartronix

Metro Mini 328 No COM Port

Post by dartronix »

I have recently purchased 35 Metro Mini 328 5V/16Mhz between Adafruit and Digikey over the past few months. Five of them only have the green LED working when the USB cable is plugged in, right out of the bag. The others have both solid green and flashing red, using the same cable in the same port. When checking device manager in Windows 10, no COM port comes up for the devices with green LED only. These units as mentioned are right out of the bag and show the same problem.

I need to order another 35 for another project but this failure rate is quite high. Please advise to the cause and what I can do to fix these bad ones and ensure future boards will all work upon receipt.

Thanks

asyork

Re: Metro Mini 328 No COM Port

Post by asyork »

Have you read through https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-metro-mini/overview? It has drivers that may help, but since some are working that's likely not the issue. I was going to suggest updating the bootloader, but I can't find instructions for that board. Maybe it's only the SAMD boards that are easy to replace the bootloaders on.

I have one Metro Mini 328 and I haven't had any issues with it, but a sample of one isn't much to go by.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

If the COM port is showing up OK for the others, then it seems like it's not something with a missing driver.

Is the behavior repeatable? And specific to those boards?

dartronix

Post by dartronix »

The problem is only with the Metro Mini 328 at the moment since it is only the boards I have been using. The problem is repeatable, the good boards always work and the bad boards always fail. Its not the driver, its not the cable. On good boards the red LED flashes upon plugging in USB cable, then a COM port enumerates. The bad board, the red LED light never comes on, just the green LED. As previously mentioned, out of 35 boards purchased this year, 5 have this problem right out of the bag. The boards were purchased from Adafruit and Digikey

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

huh that is odd sounds like the bootloader didnt get programmed in - u can email support@adafruit for replacement, and if you are in the USA ask for UPS ground RMA "FORPHIL" label - they'll also send you 5 more.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”