using codebender for neopixels

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stareyes

using codebender for neopixels

Post by stareyes »

Hello all,
I work with ~20 teachers around the country, many of whom are limited to chromebooks for their students. So we have used codebender edu (the version where you have a single url that you can use unlimited times to upload code --- not the version where students make individual accounts). However, where we used to be able to use Adafruit libraries on there (at least the basic Adafruit Circuit Playground libraries - we use the Classic because students code in Arduino, not blocks), they no longer work.

I've seen all the posts by Adafruit where they show that codebender uploaded their libraries, but those do not seem to apply to codebender edu.

Our teachers so want to engage their students with those beautiful colored lights (and all the fascinating code thinking that goes into coding them). Would so appreciate any tips on coding neopixels on the Circuit Playground Classic on Chromebooks.

Thank you.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: using codebender for neopixels

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid we don't have any control over Codebender, and I don't know why there would be any problem using our NeoPixel libraries.. those have been around for a long time and are supported almost everywhere.

Have you checked with the folks at Codebender to see if they know about the problem? It could be just a glitch they'll be eager to fix:

[email protected]

If there's some kind of problem where we can assist, post back and we'll see what we can do.

stareyes

Post by stareyes »

Yeah, I've tried contacting codebender via email, by phone, and by Twitter. No luck getting a reply yet. Will keep trying!

adafruit_support_mike

As an alternative, have you tried the Arduino web editor?

https://create.arduino.cc/editor

stareyes

Post by stareyes »

Yes (highly belated reply). We have. It does not appear to fully support the Circuit Playground on Chromebooks. See attached screenshot from one of our teachers attempting to use Arduino Create on Chromebooks (which are often the only computers available to students).

Any other tips? help? Grateful for anything!
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-03 12.19.56 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-06-03 12.19.56 PM.png (93.17 KiB) Viewed 2020 times

stareyes

Post by stareyes »

I should add - the issue is that one cannot upload code to the Circuit Playground.

adafruit_support_mike

I’ve talked to some folks on our business team, and they’ll see about getting full support for the Circuit Playground. They mentioned the Arduino team (who are awesome), and I know we’ve had good relations with the Codebender folks in the past.

stareyes

Post by stareyes »

That would be amazing. I know at least 20 teachers who would be grateful for a way to use some of the special features of the Circuit Playground (Classic) in Arduino - it's particularly relevant for transitioning students to more advanced CS courses in high school.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”