MacroPad wireless

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
davidb21

MacroPad wireless

Post by davidb21 »

Hello,

Not sure where to place this post so please migrate it to the proper place if needed.

I want to use the MacroPad to controlling everything in my smarthome. But it needs portable power and a way to talk to things wireless.

If only the MacroPad had a lipo managment and a ESP s3 for wireless and TLS http connections. I would gladly strap this thing to my forearm or bicep to control all my things.

Keep up the great work, that is all.

davidb21

Re: MacroPad wireless

Post by davidb21 »

If I wanted to do this today I could use one of my MagTags and have the MacoPad 2040 talk to it using the usb - C sending serial commands.

A guess another route would be to wake the MagTag when ready to transmit then have them talk using I2C???

Any other alternatives that I have overlooked?

davidb21

Post by davidb21 »

Would there be a way to have the magtag send power to the MacroPad 2040 using the USB C PD?

davidb21

Post by davidb21 »

Thoughts on placing the QT Py ESP32 S2 WiFi DevBoard on the MacroPad? It has a I2C but perhaps it would be better make a physical connection using the GPIO pins, any ideas?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It would probably be easier to connect the Macropad to a RasPi Zero-W, then let the RasPi control the home automation through its Wifi interface.

For battery power, a PowerBoost 500C should be able to keep both boards happy, and has an onboard LiPo charger:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1944

davidb21

Post by davidb21 »

Great idea and I have a bunch of those in list of parts. The form fact is good and I could the pi zero with a read only file system. I'm thinking then just use one GPIO from the macro pad sending commands to the pi zero. Anything I may be missing? Thanks for the suggestion!

davidb21

Post by davidb21 »

Also, should I be able to use the port on the macropad for serial or the hardware dedicated for only I2C?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you’re using a RasPi you can connect the MacroPad through a USB cable, and use the Serial interface.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”