Metro M4 Express Board not connecting to COM port

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
smitlr

Metro M4 Express Board not connecting to COM port

Post by smitlr »

I recently got this board and have been attempting to connect it to my laptop to be able and use it. However the board is not being recognized by any of the laptops I have tried one running mac and the other windows. I have tried using both a micro usb as well as a dc 2.1 mm connector to no success. The board lights up with the green led and will do some blinking, but that is all. Nothing appears on either computer that it is connected. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my project is time sensitive and relies heavily on this board.

asyork

Re: Metro M4 Express Board not connecting to COM port

Post by asyork »

I don't know if there is protection built in, but I wouldn't connect both the 2.1mm and USB connectors at the same time. It's possible it could damage something, and very likely the computer's USB port. The DC port is for power only.

I can only help with Windows. Does the Device Manager say anything under Ports (COM & LPT) when the device is plugged in? Have you tried other cables, or successfully used that cable with another data device (ie. not just charging)?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Verify your USB cable is good. Use it with something else and verify it can move data and is not a charge only cable.

smitlr

Post by smitlr »

The micro usb cord was the issue thank you so much. I can now get the computer to recognize the device, however I am now struggling to upload the firmware I need to to the board. I have a .UF2 file which i attempt to drag and drop into the Metro M4 Boot drive, however when I do, it simply ejects the device and fails to upload it to the board. Thank you so much for any help.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

What is the full name of the UF2 file you are dragging over?

And just to double check - what is the actual name of the boot folder that is showing up?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”