Minipov 4 firmware

MiniPOV4 and previous versions

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jkostman

Minipov 4 firmware

Post by jkostman »

I thought I would use this product in a soldering class for students, since it is simple and maybe fun to build. I purchased a kit for testing, built it and everything looks fine. When I try to program a second ATMega328p with the source code from https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-MiniPOV4-Kit, it functions different. The kit code powers up with a three second delay before leds flash a test before running the code. The code from the above site does not do this. The leds flash immediately, so I don't know if there is code problem or what. Is there a way to get the code from the kit or is there away to clone the ATMega32p chip?

mikeysklar

Re: Minipov 4 firmware

Post by mikeysklar »

What is the approximate time frame between purchases for the two Minipov4 kits you bought?

Did you build the firmware MiniPOV4Core.ino or use the default hex file to upload the hex file from the repo?

It is possible to pull the hex file from a atmega's using avrdude should you want to compare the hex files to see if there is a difference. Something along the lines of:

Code: Select all

avrdude -p m328p -P usb -c usbtiny -U flash:r:flash.bin:r
Maybe we can try to identify if the difference you are seeing is due to hardware assembly, Arduino release or bootloader version. Here is a

jkostman

Post by jkostman »

I made my own second board and placed the circuit on an UNO board outline. I then added the feature that the UNO can be a programmer for the ATTiny45 socket or the ATMega328p. This is so the students can use it for further lab work. When I swap your chip an the one I programmed from the Adafruit-MiniPOV4-Kit-master download they both work the same no matter which board that it is plugged into. I can only assume there is a firmware difference. If I can figure out how to use AVRDUDE to download both firmware I could compare them.
The reason I care about the differences is explaining how the firmware works in class to the students. I need to know myself which is which and how to upload new images. Using the internal registers makes this a more advanced programming lab. I'll do some more testing on my end. Thanks.

jkostman

Post by jkostman »

I realize I am a doofus. The difference between the two is your ATmega328 has an image loaded and mine does not. Good news is I did figure out how to use avrdude.
When programming the UNO directly use the following line
avrdude -P com10 -c avrisp -b19200 -p m328p -U eeprom:w:myfile.hex:i
and when using the UNO as the programmer use this line
avrdude -P com10 -c stk500v1 -b19200 -p m328p -U eeprom:w:myfile.hex:i
the difference of course is the programmer name. Thank you for your time.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Good work. I had assumed (incorrectly) that you had already successfully upload an image to your AVR.

Glad you got the avrdude syntax down. Knowing the command-line syntax is a powerful teaching tool.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MiniPOV”