MAX STEPPER MOTOR

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
soldier52

MAX STEPPER MOTOR

Post by soldier52 »

hi , I would like to know how many stepper motors can ı use with Adafruit Motor/Stepper/Servo Shield for Arduino v2 Kit - v2.3 PRODUCT ID: 1438

You said in your video that we can use it by putting it on top of each other. I want to use 13 stepper motors and 13 reset switchs.

What is your opinion about my project to use shield card or microcontroller. Is it possible with i2c ?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MAX STEPPER MOTOR

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

In theory, you could stack 32 shields with 2 steppers each for 64 steppers total. But as with anything there are tradeoffs that limit the usefulness of such a configuration. The shield is convenient and easy to use but is limited in the types of steppers it can drive. It is also limited by the communication speed of the i2c bus, so while you can control a lot of motors, things start slowing down as you add more motors to the mix.

First you need to define what you want your 13 steppers to do so that you can choose a stepper with the appropriate characteristics.
Then you will need to choose a driver to match. https://learn.adafruit.com/all-about-st ... he-stepper
And finally, you need to think about how to control all of those drivers. With that many motors, you will probably want to use drivers that have a simple step & direction interface and native microstepping.

soldier52

Post by soldier52 »

thank you very much for your answer , Also I want to get information another question.

Can i control 12 servos and 1 stepper motor with this Shield. I will use this shield for just protect my microcontroller . I will use 35 kg servos so i need more powerfull external power supply . Is it necessary or not to protect my microcontroller ?

In short , i will connect just signal cables with your shield , but power cables directly to power supply.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The motor shield itself does not do servo control. It does have a pair of 3-pin servo headers, but these just pass through GPIO pins 9 and 10 from the Arduino - using the standard Arduino servo library.

The Arduino servo library can control up to 12 servos via the Arduino GPIO pins. There are breakout holes for all of the Arduino header pins on the motor shield, so you could connect your servos that way. Another option would be to stack a PWM/Servo shield which uses a PCA9685 chip to generate the servo control pulses: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1411

In either case, you will need external power for your 35 kg servos. But you will need both signal and ground connections from the shield to the servo.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”