I2C addresses for 4*4 NeoTrellis

Microsoft's MakeCode platform for easy blocks-style programming

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Wolfman2004

I2C addresses for 4*4 NeoTrellis

Post by Wolfman2004 »

Since no one "has time" to create an extension package for the Neotrellis 4*4 for maker.makecode, would anyone please tell me what I2C addresses Neotrellis uses for the onboard devices.

With this I just might be able to make use of the neotrellis programming in makecode.

However I fear that all those who speaks so fondly of CircuitPython, don't even know what addresses does what, and that is because circuitpython has to use extensions to. Withou those extensions must people would not be able to use circuitpython at all, just as it is with makecode.

If maker.makecode had the same extensions as circuitpython, makecode would win due to the free and more intuitive graphics!

dastels

Re: I2C addresses for 4*4 NeoTrellis

Post by dastels »

All the information is in the product guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neotrellis.

Dave

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

As far as I can see in your link (which I have looked at so many times), it is only the adresses for the neotrellis board it self. But to my beleive I will need to adress the individual items ON the board ie. neopixels (write) or buttons (read). And no one seems to know these adresses so far. Neigher all those circuitpython users, since they have the fortune of an extension that does this for them, nor Adafruit who seems to not care about maker.makecode users.

dastels

Post by dastels »

You interact with the board through the seesaw chip, not directly with the hardware on it.

Dave

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

Not that useful information, sorry.

I have attempted to add the seesaw extension and used the maker.makecodes I2C setup under "pins", since Seesaw extension does not add any new blocks as far as I can tell.

But in the I2C blocks I must use an address, (if write) value and format, but none of these information's have I been able to find.

The Seesaw chip is just the onboard controller, but it does not know what hardware is attached to what pin. Or maybe it does but it is a secret.

I request the necessary information to make use of maker.makecode to control the Neotrellis.

And since Adafruit refuse to give ANY help the makecode community, I must make use of the blocks I have to set it up manually. But to do this I need the information that is very hard to find because circuitpython users has been blessed with an Neotrellis extension.

dastels

Post by dastels »

The seesaw firmware that runs the board(s) is here: https://github.com/adafruit/seesaw. Configuration for the NeoTrellis is in https://github.com/adafruit/seesaw/tree ... RGBTrellis.

Dave

dastels

Post by dastels »

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

And I have now looked at it and found a hole lot of information I cannot use, and just maybe the information I actually need is hidden in there but I don't know where if it is.

Regarding maker.makecode I need the following: Address, value and format...!

And exactly how to use it I don't know, in order to light the specific neo's or to "read" a button pressed.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Your best approach is probably to refer tot he source of the C++ or CircuitPython libraries. To reiterate: in order to set the NeoPixels or read the button you MUST interact with the seesaw chip.

Dave

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

And to reiterate:

I am asking for the information's to do just that. Interact with Seesaw. But I am not receiving the information necessary to do so in makecode, instead you are pointing at a lot of folders and files containing a huge amount of specs, numbers and words. How am I to find the information I am asking for in all that. I did NOT find the format type listet to start with, and that is needed in makecode.

I can find so many information's in all the different python folders and files, but not exactly the ones I need.

So instead of pointing at some direction, please give me the information directly.

Wolfman2004

Post by Wolfman2004 »

Would be so much easiere if Adafruit and other manufactores would give a damn about makecode users, and actually create an extension for their hardware JUST as they have no problem of doing for the python users. And the python users would have the very same problem as I am, if they didn't have their extensions.

Again THANK YOU Adafruit for NOT making makecode extensions for all your great hardware.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we never advertised or offered makecode libraries for our neotrellis i2c breakouts. we only provide arduino and circuitpython/python - and specifically say so

if you cannot use the neotrellis, email support@adafruit for a refund - but note that if we don't say we have makecode in the product description, there is no makecode support!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MakeCode”