Gemma V2 - Connectivity issue

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sdnnet3

Gemma V2 - Connectivity issue

Post by sdnnet3 »

Hello,
I've been having a pretty rough time trying to get connected to and uploading code to the two Gemma v2's I purchased a while back (finally have the time to tinker).

I followed the setup guide on two different computers win10/win11 and have the same issue on both.

I downloaded and installed drivers, the windows device manager shows the libusb-win32 devices -> USBTiny. Arduino is installed, and the board Adafruit Gemma (ATtiny85) @8MHz is selected and the USBTinyISP is selected for the programmer. On both computers I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Sketch uses 286 bytes (5%) of program storage space. Maximum is 5310 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: libusb0-dll:err [control_msg] sending control message failed, win error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

(expected 4, got -5)
Not sure what I could be doing wrong at this point. The other boards I've purchased in the past work great (Pico, Pi zero 2w, etc)

dastels

Re: Gemma V2 - Connectivity issue

Post by dastels »

That's not unexpected. There's a deprecation warning at top of the text on the product page:
Deprecation Warning: The Gemma bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Gemma so that people can maintain some older projects, we no longer recommend it. Please check out the Gemma M0. It has built-in USB, more capabilities, and is comparable in price!

sdnnet3

Post by sdnnet3 »

Ah, that it is. Guess I mixed it up from when I last looked it up to when I purchased it. Didn't realize I was grabbing the outdated version. oh well.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Yeah. The Gemma v2 is a nice little board other than the sketchy (these days) USB.

Dave

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can try going through a USB 2.0 hub - sometimes that helps! but yea, we really are only stocking the old gemma to support folks with older projects

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”