Can a capacitor test fine, but fail under load?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hberg32

Can a capacitor test fine, but fail under load?

Post by hberg32 »

Has anyone seen a failure mode for capacitors where they look fine and test fine on a multimeter, but short under vcc (in this case 3.3v)?

I'm working on repairing a damaged circuit board and accidentally powered it up with a bad solder shorting vcc/ground for a few seconds (a bit of smoke coming from the ferrite bead alerted me to the problem). Since then I've very carefully done a continuity check between vcc/ground before powering up to make sure there is no short but it keeps happening anyway at power up. If I disconnect a portion of the circuit the problem goes away so I think I can rule out the voltage regulator and narrow the fault down to a collection of tiny SMD caps that are probably just a few pF each and one larger 68 uF cap. I've removed the larger cap and it tests ok for capacitance and resistance on the multimeter. I tested the others in-circuit for resistance and didn't see anything odd. Alternately, does it seem possible that the voltage regulator is damaged in such a way that it will work fine with reduced load but fail short with more load? The regulator in question does not appear to have short circuit protection (LT1129-3.3)

Thanks,
Henry

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Can a capacitor test fine, but fail under load?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

A shorted capacitor should have a measurable (and low) DC resistance for the kind of failure you described.

There's an easy test though: connect the cap's negative lead to GND and its positive lead to a 10k resistor, then connect VCC to the other end of the resistor. If the voltage across the capacitor measures the same as the supply voltage, you don't have a short.

As an aside, capacitors get stronger as they get smaller. SMD caps have values up to 10uF down to 0402 and farther.

Testing capacitors in-circuit takes an oscilloscope and an AC signal of about +/-150mV. That's low enough to avoid turning on any semiconductors, leaving you with simple(r) RLC circuit behavior. Putting resistors between the circuit and the test signal and/or GND can give you more information, especially the capacitor values.

hberg32

Re: Can a capacitor test fine, but fail under load?

Post by hberg32 »

Thanks for the reply, I've harvested the cap that is my chief suspect and will run the test as you suggested.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”