ESP32-S2 Feather failing to complete WipperSnapper firmware

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
snowbud

ESP32-S2 Feather failing to complete WipperSnapper firmware

Post by snowbud »

I believe that this is the same or similar problem reported by mbd here: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=193568

I'm following these instructions - https://io.adafruit.com/wippersnapper/new and failing at step 8, which appears to be the Provisioning phase.

I've tried a number of things in roughly this order:
  • Performed another Factory Reset and Bootloader Repair, and WipperSnapper version 42 install
  • Regenerated API key and updated secrets.json
After each install of WipperSnapper, the device blinks yellow and then eventually has a solid yellow light. After a little while, it must reboot as the light goes out and it starts over again, blinking yellow and then eventually a solid yellow light, and then reboots...

brubell
Learn User Page

Re: ESP32-S2 Feather failing to complete WipperSnapper firmware

Post by brubell »

Could you please file this as an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... new/choose

I'll be able to work on replicating and fixing it from there.

snowbud

Post by snowbud »

Thank you for the reply @brubell

I've created the issue on Github

snowbud

Post by snowbud »

Thanks to another post viewtopic.php?p=937390#p937390, I was able to get the device connected.

The WiFi network that I was attempting to connect to had both 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi bands enabled. Using the CircuitPython Internet Test https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... ernet-test article, I was able to verify the device wouldn't connect to this network. I created a new network that only had the 2.4Ghz WiFi band enabled and was able to connect.

When updating the secrets.json file with this new, 2.4Ghz ONLY network, I was able to connect to Adafruit IO using the WipperSnapper firmware!

Step 8 of the Adafruit IO Add new device walkthrough/article indicates that a flashing or solid yellow light indicates that the device is in the Provisioning state. But, I suspect that it's actually in the WiFi connection stage.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

Thanks for details on the resolution, glad you were able to connect. We're going to look at how to signal to users that they need a 2.4GHz (only) network in order to connect to AIO using WipperSnapper.

We'll also take a look at step 8 as mentioned above.

snowbud

Post by snowbud »

I believe most routers nowadays have both 2.4 and 5 Ghz enabled by default. Wonder if it's just some routers that cause issues? Otherwise I would expect lots of other people having issues.
If it's helpful for troubleshooting / duplicating the issue, I'm using Google Nest mesh WiFi

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”