Help: trying to connect a USB C keyboard to a micro USB OTG device

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
maybecoding

Help: trying to connect a USB C keyboard to a micro USB OTG device

Post by maybecoding »

I have a small SBC that use OTG for connecting USB devices; which I want to use for my USB-C keyboard.

I tried a regular OTG micro USB to USB-A adapter, and then a USB-A to USB-C connector and that works; but it is a long cable with too many adapters; so I am looking for something small and short that just has USB-C on one side and micro USB on the other, so I can connect my keyboard.

Problem is: there is no such thing anywhere.

The only adapters I found are OTG micro to A; which is what I already have. Then I found OTG C to micro; which does NOT work because they are wired so the USB-C connector is the host, not the USB-Micro.
How do I solve this problem without using the current chain of adapters I have? (USB-Micro OTG to USB-A to USB-C) ? I get that all phones and tablet these days use USB-C, but there is a ton of SBC and tablets that still use USB micro; so connecting a keyboard to those devices via OTG should not require 2 adapters right?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Help: trying to connect a USB C keyboard to a micro USB OTG device

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hmm.. we don't have any cables with a micro-B plug at the host side and a USB-C plug on the peripheral side.

We have a micro-B to USB-C adapter that should work at the end of a USB-OTG cable:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4299
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3610

That isn't a single cable, but sounds like it should be smaller than what you're using now.

maybecoding

Post by maybecoding »

I see; is there a reason why no such cable is made? I see mostly micro USB to USB Female A, but if you use something like a RPI Zero or similar board, which has only USB OTG, and have a usb-A device; you are forced basically to use an adapter (or source old hardware that does not use USB-C but USB-A)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

maybecoding wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:52 am I see; is there a reason why no such cable is made?
I'd guess it's a combination of volume and market inertia. USB-OTG devices using micro-B ports are fairly rare, and USB-C is still in the primary adoption stage.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”