Membrane Keypad 1x1 not working as expected

Breakout boards, sensors, Drawdio, Game of Life, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
KillahDillah

Membrane Keypad 1x1 not working as expected

Post by KillahDillah »

Hello!

I have purchased the Membrane Keypad (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1333) for the LED scarf guide (https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-neo ... -fur-scarf). I have followed the instructions verbatim and running into the issue that the membrane is not working as expected.

The membrane does not switch the color when pressed. I used a tactile switch to check if it was the code not working. The tactile switch works, switching the colors. Switching back to the membrane keypad, I notice the red light turn on, but when I press the button, it does nothing. The light doesn't turn off, it doesn't change the color on the strip or even make it flicker.

I tried updating the code with the limited knowledge I have with no avail. I tried switching the pins around, still the same problem. Both of the membranes I ordered act the same way. I'm using the middle pin as ground and the left pin as data (I've tried different jumper cables as well as different boards).

Is it the membrane? Could both be faulty? Do I need to exchange? I really want these membranes to work! The guide doesn't offer a solution if the button/switch isn't working.

Please help.
Thanks!
Attachments
press, light still on
press, light still on
PXL_20220819_021440892.jpg (272.56 KiB) Viewed 34 times
data and ground to membrane
data and ground to membrane
PXL_20220819_021427852.jpg (288.25 KiB) Viewed 34 times
data and ground connected to Gemma M0
data and ground connected to Gemma M0
PXL_20220819_021420706.jpg (236.58 KiB) Viewed 34 times

FailingTinkerer

Re: Membrane Keypad 1x1 not working as expected

Post by FailingTinkerer »

It might be helpful to upload your code.

I can see how you hooked up green and yellow. But I have not clue what red, white and black are doing.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The leftmost pin is only to power the LED. It is not related to the pushbutton function.

The center pin should be connected to GND.
The right-side pin should be connected to your GPIO pin. Be sure to set the internal pullups on the pin you are using.

KillahDillah

Post by KillahDillah »

AWESOME!

Wow - that was it.

The guide says to use the left pin - not the right. I swear I had tried the right pin, but because the light didn't come on, I didn't even try the button.

THANK YOU!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”